Day 8 - Winlock to Cathlamet - Riding the California Dream - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2022

Day 8 - Winlock to Cathlamet

Heart 0 Comment 0

The day broke overcast and crisply cold (about 45 degrees F), but dry, and I joked with the group that, as a Californian, it was sub-Amber riding temperature. On the bright side, because we were staying in the lodge, we had the luxury of a hot breakfast — scrambled eggs, hash browns, and sausage.  

For warmth, I layered up with a wool layer under my jersey, leggings over my shorts, long-fingered gloves, and my rain jacket on top of my wind jacket. (I know, I know, I’m a wimp.) And off we went on our day’s adventure. 

A field illuminated by the morning light
Heart 6 Comment 0

Our route took us through Toledo, a small town with a population of 631 as of 2020. 

An interesting mural in Toledo.
Heart 2 Comment 0

One barn advertising a tonic for “weak women” caught our  attention. I wondered aloud what that even meant, but no one seemed to know. 

Dr. Pierce’s special prescription for women.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI remember this barn!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Scott AndersonIt’s one of those memorable things you find on the road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

As we entered the Longview area, we rounded a bend in the road and were rewarded with spectacular views of the Cowlitz river. 

Bridges over the Cowlitz.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the Cowlitz.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And looking to the right
Heart 2 Comment 0

The last part of the ride through Longview and beyond was spent largely on the highway. The traffic wasn’t too bad, though, and the shoulders normally sufficient. 

I arrived at the Elochoman Slough marina, where we would camp for the night, before 3:00 pm and had time to enjoy the views of the Columbia River. 

The Elochoman Slough marina and campground
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Columbia River - on the edge of the campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was my turn to cook dinner (mine and another woman, Linda), and we made salmon, corn on the cob, and an arugula salad, served with dinner roles. I was nervous about cooking the salmon on the camp griddle, but it turned out well and everyone seemed to enjoy it. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Hamming it up for the camera.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonGreat. Photo! What a great dinner you fixed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lynda ThompsonLooks delicious and seeing the shorts & flip-flops you must have warmed up!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 361 miles (581 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad you had a dry day! You are definitely not a wimp, that’s cold weather.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago