Day 18 - Layover in Brookings - Riding the California Dream - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2022

Day 18 - Layover in Brookings

Both Rich and I must have been tired, because we slept in until 8:45 AM, and then lazed around for an hour before deciding to go in search of breakfast. 

Mattie’s Pancake House is a local gem. When we arrived, there was a line outside the door, but it wasn’t long before we were seated. The place was bustling with energy, the hum of people talking, and the aromas of bacon and maple syrup. 

I ordered a glazed cinnamon roll, eggs, and red potatoes, and Rich had the corned beef hash breakfast — all very American and soul-comforting food. 

While there, we spotted a few of my Adventure Cycling compatriots — Bekah, John, and Laura — as well as a few self-contained cyclists I’ve met on the road who are also traversing the coast.

Breakfast at Mattie’s with Rich — taken with a wide-angle lens.
Heart 3 Comment 1

After breakfast we strolled along the harbor. It was interesting to see all the fishing boats trawling in a circle. 

Me, at the Brookings harbor.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Since the clouds were higher today, we decided to drive back north about 10 miles to see the Thomas Creek Bridge, the highest bridge in Oregon, hovering 345 feet above the beach below.  When I rode over it yesterday, there was too much fog to see it properly. 

Views of the Thomas Creek Bridge from the lookout.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Traversing the bridge, you’d never guess how high you are above the ground below.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way back to Brookings, we stopped at Whaleshead Beach. 

Reflections in the still water.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Is the bird a loon?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesGreat blue heron. Nice shot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Kathleen JonesAh, it seemed lighter than a blue heron. Thanks for identifying it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We ended the day at Black Trumpet Bistro for another fantastic meal. We shared the pickled beet salad as an appetizer, Rich had the beef stroganoff (made with goat cheese), and I had the chicken Marsala. We boxed up about half of each dish (Rich will have a good dinner tomorrow) to save room for tiramisu, which was light as a cloud and made my eyes roll back into my head.  For such a small town, Brookings seems to have more than its share of fine dining establishments.  

Rich, enjoying a glass of Chardonnay.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Tomorrow I will meet with the group at 8:00 AM for breakfast and a map meeting before getting back on my bike, and Rich wil drive home to Napa. It’s been a pleasant and rewarding rest day, which is good, because rain is forecast for the next two days. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lynda ThompsonLooks like a great rest day with some fabulous food and sightseeing. Hope the rain holds off for your days back on the bike.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Lynda ThompsonYes, it was a wonderful day. But the rain caught up with us during the night.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a wonderful day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago