Day 10 - Layover in Astoria - Riding the California Dream - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2022

Day 10 - Layover in Astoria

Blogging by phone is a new experience for me. And blogging by phone while camping is turning out to be a bit challenging, primarily because some of the campgrounds have such weak cell service that I’m unable to upload pictures or, sometimes, load the blog page. 

All this, to say that I’m a few days behind. So I’m going to let the pictures speak for our rest day in the Astoria area. 

The state park, with access to the beach, is right across the street from the KOA where we’re staying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The path through the park to the beach is paved and easy to walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It leads through mysterious looking forests of coast cypress.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the main features of the beach here is the Peter Airedale shipwreck.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A link to more info about the shipwreck: https://www.shareoregon.com/things-to-do/en/listings/124946-explore-the-peter-iredale-shipwreck-fort-stevens-state-park

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the Astoria Bridge from directly below.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dinner at the Bridgewater Bistro with Bernice (far left) and Linda (center).
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonYup. Great spot - I think we ate here each of the last few times we stayed in Astoria.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The cioppino - yum!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset under the bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dusk on the pedestrian walkway along the river.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWe have bicycled to Astoria many times and really love it. Unfortunately, one time I was bicycling on the part above and my tire got stuck in the gap between 2 boards. I was okay but we had to go to a bike shop to get the wheel fixed. Looks like you got a nice day for your layover day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Rachael AndersonI didn’t realize I’d published it before writing any text or adding captions. Yes, it was a gorgeous, warm day, and very restful and rejuvenating. Just what I needed to begin another week.

We cycled Dow this as well, and I wondered if the planks had ever eaten someone’s tire.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonGlad you got to spend a layover day here. Astoria’s one of our favorite towns in Oregon.

Another tip though, about your link to the article on the Peter Iredale shipwreck: there’s an icon on the toolbar for that also (it looks like a link): a pop up let’s you add the link and then give your own text for it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lynda ThompsonLooks like a great layover
Reply to this comment
1 year ago