Day 52: Touring the Great Sand Dunes area - Sacramento to Loveland via 11 National Parks 2010 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2010

Day 52: Touring the Great Sand Dunes area

Today I'm a tourist, riding an unloaded bike. In the morning I went back to the sand dunes and hiked to the top of a 650-foot sand dune. I think the sun angle would be better in the afternoon, but morning is recommended because it's cooler. There's no shade on the dunes and the sand heats up in the sun. With every foot step I give back half or more of the step sliding down when I put my weight on the foot. Very strenuous, and the elevation is nearly 9000 feet. I've been at high elevation for a long time, so I probably wasn't as breathless as the others on the dune. Most of the time you walk the ridge lines. But sometimes you have to climb a steeper slope to get from one ridge line to another.

Bottom of the 650-foot sand dune.
Heart 1 Comment 0
About halfway up the 650-foot sand dune.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost at the top...
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the top of the 650-foot sand dune.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The hike down was MUCH faster than the hike up.

The fires are still burning. Medano creek visible below.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the sand dune hike I pedaled 7 miles back to the Oasis restaurant for an early lunch, then continued south to Zapata Falls, outside the park. 5.6 miles south in the San Luis valley on CO 150, then 3.7 steep uphill miles on a washboarded gravel BLM road that climbs more than 1000 feet into the Sangre de Cristo mountains.

Zapata Falls road looking back at the sand dunes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road ends at a trailhead. Then visitors must walk 1/2 mile uphill on the trail to the gorge. The temperature drops dramatically when going from the sunny desert into the shade of the narrow undercut gorge. The air is cold and wet and I'm wading in cold water. It's definitely best to do this during the warm afternoon.

The approach to Zapata Falls requires wading the creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zapata Falls. It's hard to take a picture because of dim light and blowing spray.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View looking straight up. The gorge below Zapata Falls is so undercut that you can barely see the sky.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was downhill all the way from Zapata Falls to the highway. First a 200 foot drop on the trail. Then an 1100 foot descent on the BLM road, mostly at less than 10 mph because of the washboards. The last 3 miles to the campground are uphill but easy with a strong tailwind and an unloaded bike.

View from the Zapata Falls trail. 1500 feet above the San Luis Valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highway 150 to Great Sand Dunes National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at the campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back at the campground I did laundry, took a shower. At 7:30 I went to the $1.50 all-you-can-eat ice cream social.

My AT&T phone had service at the Zapata Falls trailhead, probably getting into Alamosa. Other than that, my phone had no service during the 4 days I was in the San Luis Valley.

Distance: 29.2 mi. (46.7 km) 8 miles on gravel

Climbing: 1750 ft. (530 m)

Hiking: 5 mi. (8 km)

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 2,384 miles (3,837 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYum - - a $1.50 all you can eat ice cream social sounds great! :) :) Hopefully the ice cream was decent! :)
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago