Day 27: Kodachrome Basin to Bryce Canyon National Park - Sacramento to Loveland via 11 National Parks 2010 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2010

Day 27: Kodachrome Basin to Bryce Canyon National Park

40F in the tent overnight. I got up at 8 and on the road at 9:50. It was too cold outside at 7 AM and today will be a short easy day.

This is the morning view a few steps from my campsite at Kodachrome Basin state park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road is mostly downhill from Kodachrome Basin to the little farm town of Cannonville, where I turned west on highway 12 to begin a detour to Bryce. After Cannonville it's uphill all the way to Bryce. I could see the big red escarpment pretty much all day.

Heading towards Bryce Canyon National Park. Mostly uphill, actually.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The valley east of Bryce has a few farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Cannonville, Utah.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The town of Tropic is in the middle of a large area of irrigated fields. But I don't know where the water comes from. There is no river here. Tropic is a low-key tourist gateway town, but it's mostly a Mormon farm town. I had lunch there.

View of the Aquarius plateau from near Tropic, Utah.
Heart 0 Comment 0

West of Tropic, highway 12 climbs the giant red escarpment, topping out at 7500 feet elevation on a plateau at the park turnoff.

Rock formations on the eastern edge of Bryce Canyon national park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Climbing to Bryce Canyon national park.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The park road climbs still more through the tourist gateway town of Bryce Canyon City, which most people probably still call Ruby's Inn. The park entrance is a couple miles uphill from town and it's uphill through the park. The temperature dropped noticeably as I gained elevation and got into the shade of tall trees.

The park service provided a camera pedestal for self-portraits.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At 4 PM I got one of the last sites at the sunset campground. Paid for 2 nights. $15/night. The area has a store, pay showers, laundry, and restaurant. The campground is 7900 feet elevation, so it will be cold tonight.

After dinner I rode up to Inspiration Point (8100 feet elevation) to see the amphitheater in near-sunset light.

Shortly before sunset at Inspiration Point, Bryce Canyon national park.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a great name for that view - Inspiration Point!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

I'm back at high elevation now and the weather turned cooler yesterday. Today's high was in the low 60's. Tonight will be cold but the next night will be a bit warmer.

I was here on a bike tour in May 1992. The only big change in the park is the new shuttle bus service. But the tourist facilities outside the park have multiplied. What was just one (large) motel complex is now an incorporated town with several motels, restaurants, stores, a rodeo, and an airport.

Distance: 30.9 mi. (49.4 km)

Climbing: 2990 ft. (906 m)

Average Speed: 7.8 mph (12.5 km/h)

Maximum Speed: 33.5 mph (54 km/h)

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,254 miles (2,018 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0