Flavigny to Dijon: Last day on the road - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2022

Flavigny to Dijon: Last day on the road

We had a big day planned for our last day, with more vertical meters than on any other day of the tour. It was also a day where we were both feeling we needed a rest day. 

After a leisurely breakfast and interesting conversation with our host, we saddled up and got on the road. There are no grocery stores in Flavigny, so again we set out with minimal provisions, a wrinkled apple, two old-looking bananas and a handfull of peanuts, buried somewhere in our bags.

Our bikes slept outside on the little terrace in front of the house, not even locked up! The house didn't have a key either, not necessary we were told.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltHow does your husband like his bike? I see them online.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonHe Lovestory it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our B&B
Heart 6 Comment 0
Ready for the last ride
Heart 3 Comment 0

So far the planned routes were good, with just a few hiking single trails included by mistake. Today's route down the hill started on one such path which we quickly nixed and it was no problem to ride a short stretch on a one way street to get on track. And the two hills that were in store for us? The first climb was shorter than the second and fairly steep, Janos got off and walked a bit. With that under our belts, I was anticipating a longer steep climb on the second hill. But no, it was more gradual and very manageable. The views were magnificent, and the descent went on and on, some parts being very steep, 18% according to the signs. I think this must have been one of the best days of the tour. In addition, the cold wind had abated, it was comfortably warm for the first time in days.

Many redundant pictures, but I loved it all.

Fields of flax
Heart 6 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBeautiful pic! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Actually the only flax we saw on the trip.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe field of flax was beautiful! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice panoramic picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 4 Comment 0

We passed through few villages and seldom saw a car. The villages we did see had no bakeries or groceries.

We are very remote, just a church here and there - but no bread.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The second decent was very steep.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stopped for pictures and also to rest my hands.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then we were back on the canal. We dug out the modest provisions we had in our panniers and were very happy with our minimal picnic, glad we didn't have to eat them last night as a last resort. 

We had pedaled this part of the Canal de Bourgogne on our way from Dijon to Pouilly with Susan, Rachael and Scott nine days earlier. As we came full circle, we recognized the bridges and places we had stopped for pictures and breaks and were reminded of the good times we had together. This time around I didn't take so many pictures, though.

Remember that bridge? And the nettles?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI remember and I’m sure Susan does!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
My last picture
Heart 3 Comment 0

The streets back to the same hotel we stayed at before were just as irritating to cycle on as the first time. Back at the hotel it was nice to know our way around, which meant mainly where to put our bicycles. Going out to eat in the evening we knew which restaurant to avoid and the next morning we knew that we preferred a cafe crème and croissant at a cafe outside and not the hotel breakfast.

It was a fantastic day, perfect for rounding off our Burgundy tour.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 533 km (331 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Keith Adams"The villages we did see had no bakeries or groceries."

Makes me wonder what the locals do for food.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith AdamsThey have freezers and pre-packaged goods from what I saw at the B&B's. And of course they have cars.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesWhat a lovely continuation of the tour. And I’m so glad Janos was so generous as to loan you his camera.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesYes, I'm pretty lucky.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nancy GrahamOh what a great way to end a tour with your friends — add another tour to it at the end! All wonderful and how I have loved following along with you. I will miss reading more of your touring but will be happy to have you back at 365! Thanks for the entertaining and educational journal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamThanks, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago