Another day in Bordeaux - Bubbles, White and Red - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2022

Another day in Bordeaux

Probably the only time in my life that I will have a Rothschild champagne. (21€ a glass)
Heart 1 Comment 0
My duck dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
This amazing fountain is very symbolic for the Girondais people who lived here and opposed Robespierre during the revolution. Many lost their head.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer view of the fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bordeaux wine bottles are of a specific shape. The shoulders of the bottles are designed to trap the impurities as the wine is poured.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main cathedral in Bordeaux. Note the bell tower is separate from the church because there was a fear that the vibration from the bell may damage the church if it was attached.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bell tower.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of 3 gates left standing. This is from the Middle Ages.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the buildings have these trap doors. They are opened to roll wine barrels into them so they go straight to the cellar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another fountain in town with 3 dogs cooling themselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This area is semi circular and called the bourse with the fountain in the middle. Sadly this square has a dark side. These beautiful buildings and fountain were built from money made in the slave trade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me at the fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stained glass in the Bar á Vin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wall of wine bottles
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wine school that houses the Bar á Vin. The photo was taken from the roof of the Intercontinental Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The opera house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the top of the Intercontinental Hotel there is a bar from which you get a great view of the city but also an expensive glass of wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Probably the only time I will drink a glass of Rothschild crémant. Photo bombed by Patti who arrived today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a day for sightseeing in Bordeaux since return to Canada the day after our return to this city and our flights are at O’dark 30.  We started with a guided walking tour to make the best of time in Bordeaux.  The tour was fantastic.  We had a very animated guide who made the tour not only informative but lots of fun.  We learned a great deal about the 2000 year history of Bordeaux which began with the Romans, who were the ones to introduce wine to this region.  There was a middle age phase, a renaissance phase and of course the 20th century.

Eleanor of Aquitaine was a major presence here in the 1200s.  If you ever watched the movie ‘Lion in Winter’ with Peter  O’Toole  and Katherine Hepburn you will be in the correct time period.  She was major influence here having married Henry II of England, having had 10 children and lived to be 80s years old.

The renaissance was also a period of great wealth where many of the buildings were built.  The bourgeois our “bauebaue” as the lower classed called them had some amazing homes.

Lastly a mayor of Bordeaux had the foresight to turn this city into a tourist city, thus cleaning it up.  All of the buildings are beautifully cleaned rather than covered in the dirt of pollution.  There are many pedestrian walk ways, bicycles and electric trams all of which reduce pollution.  Indeed France is way ahead of NA in pollution management in general, we have lots to learn.

Down the street from us is a school where you can go to learn all about wine and become a sommelier.  They have a bar where you can get cheese and meat trays for 10€ and wine for 3€ a glass.  We had lunch there today.

We met at 5 to share some champagne with all on this trip and then we sorted out the bikes for tomorrows start.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Yvonne McLeanI have spent three days arriving in Metchosin at 5 am to set up for the 55+ cycling, so am catching up. FYI RoseMary and Fiona represented the Sisters very well...I was so impressed.
Your photos are grand....hope your bike selection has improved and you are once again enjoying cycling. Hi to Patti...Hilary and
Chris of course.
Look forward to more photos....Yvonne
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gail JohnsonBob and I are enjoying your blog and LOVE your photos. Great job and looks like you are having a blast. Hello to all and welcome Patti. We look forward to your next cycling adventure and hope you get a better bike. Beautiful Bordeaux!!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago