Ferrara - We're going on an adventure... - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2023

Ferrara

Today started with a long walk into the centre of town via the university. We spend a whole looking around the castle then took a long route home via some of the roads that formed the foundation of the city. This part was quiet and really interesting with lots of interesting windows, tunnels, and doors. Tobias went on a bike strike today which was great because we could actually cover some ground, but not so great because he's growing and while he tries really hard to hold my forehead and not pull my hair, he often gets distracted and twists around to watch a digger and wrenches on my pony tail. Or worse tugs those little hairs by my ears.

In the afternoon we decided to take the bikes out, even though we had to carry them down the stairs. I thought that my bike was just heavy because of the panniers. Turns out the bike itself is also pretty heavy. Our plan was to ride the path around the old walls since our shoulders were too sore from carrying Tobias all morning. We only made it about halfway before the "noisy thunder" (Tobias' description) gave way to rain. We made a bee line for the supermarket and made it in without getting too wet, but by the time we were ready to leave it was pretty wild. We all got drenched on the way home, but it was still very warm.

The evening was spent trying to sort out flights home. It's hard enough trying to figure a regular fare our, but trying to work out fees and policies for bikes and babies and trailers is doing my head in. I found one airline that has 2 bags, one of which can be a bike, BUT the bike cannot exceed total dimensions of 158cm which I think is impossible. It doesn't help that it's spending a heck of a lot of money for 30-40hr that are going to be mostly unpleasant. I'm now waiting to hear back from some airlines and see if they can clarify things, which in itself is frustrating because they are only getting more expensive.

We're finally back on the bike tomorrow. We're both looking forward to getting on the road after almost a week off/not really biking. Bike touring with a toddler can be challenging, but I think travel is harder.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0