What We Thought of the Rhine and the Black Forest Radweg - Grampies Go By The Books Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2014

What We Thought of the Rhine and the Black Forest Radweg

The upper Rhine has some pretty nice places, especially when you include Stein am Rhein. There is also Bad Sackingen and Rheinfelden. The pathway is normally good, not much on road, and normally level. However the Basel area ranges from plain to industrial, and the influence of this plainness is quite extensive.

We have to admit that we did not really do the Black Forest Radweg. Our route sliced across the southern bit of it, deliberately avoiding most hills, but thereby also missing most of the iconic elements of the place.

Our shot at going deep into the Black Forest with Didier was fun - because it's Didier - and we did see a bit, but a car is no way to really see a place.

Freiburg, while nominally in the Black Forest, lacks the housing styles, dress, food, or cuckoo clocks that have made the area famous. It was, however, a fun place to visit. One guidebook called it a "big little city", and that is a pretty good description.

Pros

Good pathway
Mostly flat
Some nice towns
Interesting religious history
Many nearby cycle routes, good connections to other routes
Lots of services

Cons

Boring at times
Some hills and bad pathway
Many different radwegs in the area can make navigation confusing
Higher prices in Switzerland
The "real" Black Forest hard to find, especially if you avoid hills.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0