What We Thought of the Bodensee-Konigssee Radweg - Grampies Go By The Books Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2014

What We Thought of the Bodensee-Konigssee Radweg

We had been worried about this one as the part of the route most likely to have tough hills. The way passes the feet of the Alps and is not following a river. It turned out that in the early going there was one fairly tough day, and towards the end, two days of mostly hills. On the other hand, the land was exceedingly beautiful, and we were (sort of) distracted from the effort of the hills by their beauty and by the beauty of the landscapes around us.

Not only was the land beautiful on this one, but the buildings were as well. This is where we really encountered the extra large farmhouses, and chalet style houses with flowered balconies.

The quality of the path was overall good, with not too much on road. The actual radweg signs were small and hard to spot, but when you did spot them the directions were accurate.

There was camping to be found along this way, but it was not super plentiful. Guesthouses, though were really everywhere.

We would not bring kids to this route, because of the tough spots, but if staying in guesthouses there would always be a refuge to stash them in, such as in bad weather.

Overall, we would do this one again, though we might not seek it out as a "destination" - it is more of a good connector.

Bodensee-Konigssee Pros

Joins two great areas
Beautiful landscape
Hilly, but not crazy hilly
Lots of guesthouses
Reasonable amount of camping
Path surface usually ok
Signage usually accurate

Bodensee-Konigssee Cons

Hillier than many other routes
Indistinct signs
Some areas of bad pathway
Some not so beautiful areas

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0