Statistics: Weather - Grampies Go By The Books Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2014

Statistics: Weather

Since this was a Summer trip, the weather was never exactly brutal, the way it was on our Winter shot down the US West Coast. So, of course, we did not have to bring or use booties, and while we had waterproof pants, the reason was to avoid chafing from wetness rather than hypothermia. This meant that the waterproofs could be shorts rather than long ones carefully sealed at the ankle.

Heat could be a worse enemy than cold or rain, and in fact we noted that it was "hot" (not "warm") on 1/3 of the days. Any given day, of course, could have any mix of weather, so it is hard to really summarize the days. However we can say that on 24 days (a little over 25% of the trip) there was between some rain and a lot of rain. However, on over half the total days we noted there was at least some sun.

On 40% of days, "cool" and/or "cloud" also figured.

So what do we make of this? Well, there was a lot of rain, a lot of hot, and a healthy dose of lovely cool and cloud. The rarest thing was for us to just note that it was "warm". Just "warm" is presumably what you are looking for in a Summer trip. No such luck. It most often went overboard this time, either to heat or rain. Go figure.

The moral of the story - for a Summer trip (at least, for May, June, July) you need to bring some fairly warm stuff, definitely rain gear, and some very light or sun protective stuff. Once May was over, we did mail home the warmest bits of what we had brought, and we of course did not come with our serious Winter sleeping bags or clothes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0