Christian and the Camera - Grampies Go By The Books Summer 2014 - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2014

Christian and the Camera

When we cycled down the Rhine in 2012 in "Grampies on the Go - Again" we were enthralled by all the castles up on the surrounding hills, between Bingen and Koblenz. As you can see from our photos then our little Sony camera with the 10x zoom did a reasonable job of capturing these sights.

However, when we found a way to break the battery door on the Sony we took the chance to buy a 12x zoom Nikon Coolpix S6500 at Costco in Missoula. It was about $160. So the next year we were back in Germany, just 11 days into the trip , and the lense cover of the Coolpix jammed. It took over $200, but we replaced it with the same thing again.

Skip forward just a bit to 2014, in the Everglades. Yes, the lense cover jammed. About $180 at Best Buy in Naples, Florida put that right.

So now on my third S6500 (and slow to learn, else I would have bought something else!) I contacted Nikon. Was this a problem with their cameras they knew about? Is there an easy fix? Their answer was that they deny any generic problem with their camera and there is no easy fix. They will have to totally disassemble the thing, and charge me appropriately. And p.s. a German Nikon warranty is worthless to Nikon in North America.

So I showed broken camera #2 to Christian. (Christian and Marius are the two tech wizards from Leipzig who came to visit our farm and later immigrated to Canada. We in turn visited Christian's family in Leipzig last year, while Marius' family was actually at our house here.) Christian asked for a tweezers. Five seconds later - fixed! He explained it, but we still have no idea what he did.

Sorry Nikon, Christian already has a job.

Christian and the Camera
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0