Žinkovy to Pilsen: The ride was a breeze - Dobrý den: A Bohemian Foray (Tour 15) - 2015 🇨🇿 - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2015

Žinkovy to Pilsen: The ride was a breeze

NICE to be strong again. There was a great breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and before long we had the bikes loaded up and rode into the sunrise. Since we had missed it on the way in, we chose to cycle across the causeway on our way out. It added a wee bit to the ride, but nothing to speak of. And it was oh, so worth it!

- Žinkovy, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

We checked the GPS as we entered into the village then headed straight up a climb that passed through endless plum trees and had glimpses of large rolls of bailed hay. With strength back, the steep climb was fairly easy.

- just out of Žinkovy, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a number of steep climbs the road settled into a slightly rolling route that had an overall downward incline. There were more rides through trees dripping with deep crimson plums, ripe red apples, and fields of golden grains. or was that brown because of the drought?

- en route to Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of the roads was a gravel/sand road that meandered along with hills on both sides. Overall, the riding was effortless and beautiful. And, of course, bittersweet. Today was the last 'real' day of riding. Already. Good heavens, it goes fast.

- en route to Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

At one point we were leapfrogging a group of seniors out for a ride on their road bikes. They all must have been about 80 and told us at one stop that they went out for a ride every day. Good things ahead for me?

When we arrived to one town, we found that we could see a continuous stream of 'town'. All of a sudden we were out of the pastoral countryside and into urban areas. Increasingly so, we were arriving to a city and to Pilsen.

The ride into Pilsen was a long and gradual descent as we came into older grand buildings. Over to the right I could see the steeple of the cathedral. With a few meandering turns due to one-way streets, the gps guided us right to our hotel. The receptionist told us we could bring the bike right up to our two-room apartment and then we were down for lunch.

Having a radler at Pension Wallis
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

With food out of the way, it was time to wander around the square. It was a short ten minute walk to the huge square with the imposing cathedral. As is often the case, there was a stage with bands playing and a festival in full swing. There were booths set up selling snacks, drinks and trinkets. Contrary to nanny province Ontario, people were carrying their drinks around and sipping on them - peacefully and quietly. Children were safe from the drinks. Hmmm.

The day was beautiful so we wandered around a bit more just out of the square near where there is a little pond with cafes all along. There was a little park with pergolas and green spaces - beautiful.

Town Hall, Náměstí Republiky
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedral of St. Bartholomew, Náměstí Republiky
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cathedral of St. Bartholomew, Náměstí Republiky
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we were starting to get hungry we headed back toward the hotel and as we went there was a string of restaurants. There were photos of one that showed a pretty cool-looking place. I stepped into Rango to ask if we needed reservations, which we did, so I booked a table for 7:00 pm and we were away to get ready.

Rango restaurant
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

We checked online to find that Rango is one of the best-rated restaurants in the city. We made certain to return for the reservation.

What a place. The dining area in the cellar was like a wine-storage grotto turned into what I would say has the most ambiance ever. Low lighting. Stone and brick all around. Candles. Incredible.

Then dinner was ordered and I had a pasta that was excellent. With this place oozing all of this ambiance, the final bill was ridiculously low. Wowzers.

Rango restaurant
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rango restaurant
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fully stuffed we returned to the square to listen to some of the bands, anx to drink in the beautiful evening beside the illuminated cathedral. Though not my favourite city of the tour, it was still pretty interesting to be here in the square.

On the walk back to the hotel, it was not that I was afraid, but of all the places visited, it was the first time I was very wary. A few of the back streets were dark. There were seedy looking people in some of the streets. I was relieved to be back into the room, though we did get a few night photos of the cathedral, the huge synagogue and some of the street scenes.

Cathedral of St. Bartholomew, Náměstí Republiky
- Pilsen, Czechia
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 323 km (201 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0