Where to stay when you hit the road: Hotel? Hostel? B & B? Warmshowers? - Dobrý den: A Bohemian Foray (Tour 15) - 2015 🇨🇿 - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2015

Where to stay when you hit the road: Hotel? Hostel? B & B? Warmshowers?

NOT normally one to head out to Europe in the summer, I do believe it is going to be as busy as a bee hive or ant hill. Everywhere.

Due to the ants and bees, I ended up booking the majority (aka all) of the accommodations. It does not leave for really altering the route and heading out in some random direction, but it does solve the issue of arriving to a town with no rooms and having to cycle 175 km in a day which would kill me. Trade offs are a part of life!

In the past we have enjoyed opening our home to touring cyclists en route across Canada. Warmshowers is a website, concept and organization whereby one lists one's home to do exactly that - offer somewhere to stay, or a shower or food with the idea that it will be reciprocated by the collective. Well, as all good collectives go, there are givers and there are takers. Though most of our guests have been fantastic, we have had a few who are only takers. It is not that we look for something in return, but when hospitality is offered by the inch or foot, but the people take a mile, a line must be drawn. Let me just say that the line is now drawn and a bad taste has been left in my mouth for the entire system. Unfortunate but true, we will not be taking any guests for some time, and similarly, not using the system on the road.

So to make a long story longer, small hotels will be the routine of the day. All booked online so cycling on the road can be as relaxed or racy as we choose.

Enough said!

PS Right after the bad apple appeared, we had a visit by a splendid guest. A pleasure, gracious and interesting. In fact, we offered two nights' stay. Though we will be off of the WS system for a wee bit for other reasons, the door will not be closed for future cyclists.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0