Sušice to Žinkovy: Buses again today - Dobrý den: A Bohemian Foray (Tour 15) - 2015 🇨🇿 - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2015

Sušice to Žinkovy: Buses again today

FOOD poisoning is not one of my favourite things. Not even close. Whether it was bad chicken in yesterday's lunch at the hotel or spoiled ice cream from the vendor, I spent the night feeling like crap, and racing into the bathroom every few hours. I hoped to be better by noon when we had to check out, but it was not to be.

We tried to get a taxi for the 40 km trip to Žinkovy but it was not to be, either. Not with two bikes, they said. The only choice was a several-hours-long bus trip with two changes and ending with a 2 km ride from the town centre to the hotel.

Throughout the day though I felt crappy it was nothing like last night so I was able to manage with the help of some anti-nausea meds. The folding bikes made it easy to get on and off of buses and the drivers were excellent in giving help though they spoke not a word of English. The bus system is incredibly efficient such that if the schedule said the bus would be there at 15:27, well, at 15:26:58 it was not there, but two seconds later it was. Even in the countryside in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere. There was the bus. All of this for a total of about CAD $10. Incredible - almost free, and I would suppose it is to encourage the locals to use the bus and not use cars.

Just before the arrival to Žinkovy we saw a stop that seemed to be the tree-lined avenue to the castle (it was) but we continued to the town. This was good since the bus stopped right in front of a small grocery store and after not eating for a day, I was hungry, thirsty and absolutely craving a peach. And they had some.

We slowly pedaled to the hotel beside the castle, locked our bikes in a storage room, then plunked down at a table at the in-house restaurant that overlooked the castle and the lake. Incredibly picturesque. And I even felt good enough to eat my delicious peach which was as tasty as Niagara peaches back home.

With such a beautiful spot, we spent the rest of the evening taking photos of the castle, the small causeway to the castle and the lake it crosses. Thank goodness I felt good enough to make this trip - the beauty of the place was outstanding.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 278 km (173 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0