One last ‘F you’ from the Ozarks, Donuts, and Little League Baseball - Coast To Coast - CycleBlaze

One last ‘F you’ from the Ozarks, Donuts, and Little League Baseball

Heart 0 Comment 0

The family pharmacy lights across the street from our pavilion were too bright all night. I tossed and turned a lot, eventually waking up with a stiff back. I stretched out a bit while packing up which helped a lot. Our start was early as such, and we moved along to the convenience store for some goodies. Jim and I filled up some coffee cups while Old Timer enjoyed tea. Then out of the blue Old Timer arrives to the table with a icing stuffed donut strudel. Our eyes lit up like bike lights in the dark. Before I could capture the moment, we had already stuffed these bad boys in our chompers. They were heavenly, and I’ll be considering stuffed donuts more often.

Soon enough we got to biking. Sometimes we forget that’s what we’re out here to do! The weather was once again perfect, and we continuously said this was the best time of year to bike through this part of the Midwest. The hills started early, and didn’t stop all day. Our plans were 65 miles total to Golden City, MO. We decided to stop 30 miles in at Ash Grove for lunch.

There is this running joke between us all about Kansas, being that we’re only one day away. The dudes say all the pretty girls are hiding behind the trees in Kansas. With there being many trees in Kansas, we have a good chance of seeing them. Well, being that we continuously talk about ice cream all the time, the joke has since changed. We now say there’s a dairy bar behind every tree in Kansas. We’re just delirious; just pretend like it’s funny.

Jim and I basically farted our way over the larger hills, likely giving Old Timer a nice headwind most of the way. I blame the peanut butter; Jim blames the elevation change. I’ll be happy if Old Timer survives without a nose plug throughout the rest of the trip. TMI? Nope!

The sun started to harden our skin, so we applied sunscreen in Walnut Grove. We climbed some ruthless hills, and arrived in Ash Grove. Being that it’s Memorial Day, every business was open. Sike, everything was closed. Lunch was provided by the only grocery store open in town, and we sat on foldup lawn chairs in the shade. Let’s hope they weren’t like the tick chair we encountered a week ago. For me, lunch was 2.5 PB+Js, gingersnap cookies, and lots of water. I purchased another gallon and distributed the liquid gold amongst the trés of us. Dehydration will be more of a concern as we approach the shadeless, hot state of Kansas.

After a moment of discussion, we decided to continue our original plan of pushing to Golden City, MO. We were passing up a known place to sleep and shower, but we figured our best option was to move forward. What came next, as Jim appropriately named it, was the Ozark’s last “F You”. Hills you could see from a mile away, but you were at the bottom. Climb after climb really can defeat you, especially in direct sun. Fortunately with little humidity our experience wasn’t as bad as some may have, but nonetheless the hills were relentless. We played it smart and took breaks after every few major climbs. Eventually I broke away, and in the distance saw what seemed to be a convenience store. Turns out the mirage was just a tractor company, but we decided to roll in anyway. $1.00 32 oz. Powerades and a water foundation brighten our day. We found a nice cushioned lawn mower line in the shade and all sat back. There are moments where you say, “Man, I really needed this break”. This was that moment.

The road finally seemed to flatten out a bit, but when one obstacle ends, the next one begins. Wind. Headwinds upwards to 20 mph as we pace lined 12 miles towards town. We haven’t perfected the art of pace lining, but well quickly adjust to figure out what works best for the team. If done correctly, each person will only bear the headwind at a time, instead of 100% of the day. It’s extremely efficient and practical during heavy wind days, and this method will help immensely.

Water towers in the distance gave hope we were drawing near. We were relieved to be arriving, and rolled right into the town’s park. Another pavilion with bathrooms, electric, shower, and water. Wonderful. We quickly dropped our belongings and moved to the convenience store. I chugged a chocolate milk and sipped some coffee. Jim came back out with a slice of pizza for me, which I graciously thanked him for. Old Timer comes out with a donut for Jim and I, and again I endlessly thanked them for their generosity. After talking about how happy to be where we were at the moment, we made our way back to the pavilion only to notice a Little League Baseball game was starting. I was STOKED. This type of entertainment is my favorite when town park camping. To make matters better, they were 3 or 4 years old. Jim, Old Timer, and I grabbed our seat on the bleachers and enjoyed the game. I couldn’t be happier with where I am and who I’m here with.

We decided to camp in tents after noticing the bugs were waking up. The night ended as usual: laughter, farts, and snoring. Couldn’t ask for it any better. Tomorrow we visit a ‘can’t miss’ cafe in town, and enter into a new state! A lot to look forward to, but time for some much needed rest after today’s ride.

Thanks again for all the support back home. I hope this inspires you to go out and accomplish your own thoughts and goals.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0