Missouri, I love you. - Coast To Coast - CycleBlaze

Missouri, I love you.

"The Dudes"
Heart 0 Comment 0

We woke up earlier than normal today to avoid the rumors of bad traffic lanes crossing the Mississippi. We figured the earlier the better, and after yesterday’s traffic fun we wanted nothing more than to avoid any more. The morning was brisk, colder than usual. Nothing my light rain jacket can’t handle. I quickly shoveled oatmeal and scoops of peanut butter into my hungry tummy, and we were off for a new state. First, we had to cross the Mighty Mississippi. As we approached the bridge, the excitement within rose. We were overtop this magnificent river that has such incredible history. We blocked off the whole lane this time for our safety, and surprisingly the line of cars behind us obliged. The morning ride over the river was unforgettable, and we continued to speak of the moment throughout the ride today. Immediately after crossing the river, we entered into a new state. MISSOURI!! I actually enjoyed Illinois, but crossing off another state always feels nice.

After our state sign pictures, we headed on over to the convenience store for coffee and water bottle fills. We all were in awe over the difference in terrain the minute we entered Missouri. Flat land with trees in the distance, and farmland in the near ground. At least for now, our ride would be flat, a very welcoming arrival to a new state. I may be partial to Missouri now as my favorite for this reason. Not only that, we were offered a tailwind! Tousche Missouri, tousche. We all took off, easily averaging 16 mph for a good 3 miles. And to make a great morning even better, the 76 bike route signs are back! As we turned onto the routes first turn in state, we finally felt what had just carried us for 3 miles. A nice side wind struck us instantly, but the conversation was flowing between Patrick and I so nothing seemed to bother me. Patrick, a resident of Maryland, ha hiked the Appalachian trail, Continental Divide trail, and most of the Pacific Crest trail. Most people are lucky to successfully hike one of these, he has almost hiked three. Therefore, I had many questions for him.

The scenery was absolutely stunning. I frequently reminded myself to stop and smell the roses. The clouds were like a sky of marshmellows with wavy grass prairies gently swaying below them. The barns were old, but well kept. It felt like the intro of a Midwest film. We all agreed this was some of the best biking roads since starting.

Rolling into Farmington was such a pleasure. A very quaint, friendly small town with absolutely zero well-known retail stores and all locally owned shops and markets. We found our cyclists only hostel directly on route which was convenient, and absolutely couldn’t believe our eyes when we arrived. The buildings exterior and interior were stunning for a hostel, we all said we’d pay rent to actually live here. Beautiful floors and beams, paired with a full kitchen, showers and cushioned bunk beds. We were in complete luxury for the day and night. Not only that, but the town was fully loaded with coffeeshops and a variety of dinner options. We went with Thai food, but I was slightly disappointed when comparing to the other night’s Thai meal. We shopped at Save-a-lot after dinner to grab supplies for the next couple days. Last second I grabbed a package of cinnamon raisin English muffins, which I thought would be a nice lunch tomorrow with peanut butter, jelly, and a banana. Knowing us by now, you can guess we visited the local dairy bar and ordered us some good ole ice cream. I went with the classic chocolate and vanilla swirl, but reluctantly chose to hold the sprinkles. Our voyage back with full tummys was pleasant without any bags on our bikes to weigh us down.

As we approached the hostel we noticed another biker. Jay, a resident of London but originally from New Zealand, started only 12 days ago (to my 24 days) and has reached this point already. He’s averaging around 100 miles a day in order to hit the coast by the end of June. He was a class act, and part of me wanted to push alongside him, but that’s a little more than I want out of this trip. Wish you luck mate, cheers! I made my way to my quarters, and slipped into a deep sleep attempting to journal. The minute you lay down any time during the day is dangerous. So I’m lucky to last 20 minutes before bedtime to journal, but it’s all worth it in the end.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0