Ride Day 13 - Wilpena Pound to Blinman; Blinman to Parachilna - Blinman or Bust by Bike - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2023

Ride Day 13 - Wilpena Pound to Blinman; Blinman to Parachilna

The official northern end of the Mawson Trail is at Blinman. I decided a week or so before my ride that I would continue a little farther, from Blinman through the Parachilna Gorge to Parachilna. I've shown these routes on two separate maps. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first 50km of the route between Wilpena Pound and Blinman is in the Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park, sometimes on vehicular tracks, sometimes on single-track bike trails, and sometimes coinciding with parts of the Heysen Trail walking track. In all of these trails and tracks the scenery does not disappoint -- as seen in many of the following 14 photos

Heart 0 Comment 0
I saw many, many kangaroos on this ride, but as a rule they seemed to be more wary of oncoming bicycles -- even ones in the distance -- than their cousins in the Adelaide hills, so it was very difficult to photograph any kangaroos. Nearly all the kangaroos I saw were Grey Kangaroos of all ages (all babies out of the pouch by now), though on the last day I did also see a pair of Euros (Wallaroos) and one adolescent Red Kangaroo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view looking back at the road up to Razorback Ridge, from just below the official lookout.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two views looking up the road towards the Bunyeroo Valley lookout, just a bit beyond Razorback Ridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cyclist at the top of the Bunyeroo Valley Lookout had just commenced a southward journey along the Mawson Trail from Blinman. He'd flown from Perth to Adelaide, then took a bus up north to begin the ride back down to Adelaide. He was the only e-bike cyclist I encountered on the Trail -- fully equipped with a trailer, tent, sleeping bag, and what seemed like 10 water bottles of varying sizes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Bunyeroo Valley lookout
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view into Bunyeroo Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final, rather rough track out of the Flinders National Park and onto the nicely paved Flinders Ranges Way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The naturally-occuring stones along the flat crest of this hill are a tourist feature called 'The Great Wall of China'
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
10 kilometres to Blinman -- I started getting excited at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The North Blinman Hotel -- a stopping point for a soft drink before continuing on to Parachilna
Heart 1 Comment 0
Three views from along the Blinman-Parachilna Road through Parachilna Gorge. The first 20km or so was almost all downhill on a very rough, badly corrugated road (though nothing worse than the 28km near the end of the Hawker-Rawnsley ride).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The final 12km to Parachilna was on this very long, flat, sometimes still-corrugated road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All done riding, ready for dinner with Jill and Tenny at the Prairie Hotel, Parachilna.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0