Day 5: Rain and Shine - Cycleblazing in the Black Forest - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2022

Day 5: Rain and Shine

Biberach - Vimbuch

This was our last full day riding together, and what a day! We had sun, we had rain, we had great riding, we (I) lost some important equipment and we got to our destination in spite of obstacles.

Rain was predicted but it wasn't raining in the morning and that always makes you happy. Riding on the quiet bike path - we hardly saw any other cyclists (except yesterday when I wanted to take my merino shirt off from under my jersey) - I had that wonderful early morning feeling, everything so fresh and new.

Crossing the Kinzig
Heart 8 Comment 0
Bridge built in 1915
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back to where we stayed last night - miles from nowhere
Heart 7 Comment 0
Passing many orchards ready for harvest
Heart 8 Comment 0
Comfortable bike path in the Kinzig Valley
Heart 3 Comment 0

It might sound like I planned a route to lovely picturesque towns along the way, but actually I was just as surprised as Susan when we approached another city gate and a town of well-cared for half-timbered houses. I had never heard of Gengenbach before but it was on our route to our destination of the day. 

City gate to Gengenbach
Heart 4 Comment 0
Here comes Susan
Heart 5 Comment 0
Characteristic pose - Susan reaching for her camera in her back pocket
Heart 9 Comment 0

We dawdled in the sun, watched a group of children on a field trip playing "old-fashioned" games like jump rope and marbles, and took many pictures.

Playing marbles - you don't see that very often any more.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAnd they are playing on the flat cobblestones?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Traditional half-timbered houses on Gengenbach's main street
Heart 9 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI liked the color of the shutters on the houses! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Detail on the town hall
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsIn Europe 1696 is the date a building was built. Stateside, it's the street address. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan soaks up the sun and the local atmosphere.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A selfie at the Market Fountain
Heart 3 Comment 0


We continue on our way as dark clouds gather.

A short photo stop before Ohlbach -The roadside crosses in the Black Forest are very different from what we see in Bavaria.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Time for a few more snaps while Susan finally is able to get telephone contact with her sister
Heart 3 Comment 0

We knew it  was going to rain so what difference did it make if we stopped or didn't stop for a few more pictures when the opportunity offered itself,  a castle on a hill surrounded by vineyards for example. And then the rain came. We soon had our complete available rain gear on and then sought protection under a tree. Across the street a kind soul waved from her window that we should take shelter under the roof of her patio which we thankfully did. We waited out the worst of the downpour and pedaled a few more soggy kilometers to Offenburg, a larger town, where we found a cafe for a warm beverage and a bite to eat.

Castle coming up surrounded by vineyards
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLovely to see the grapes growing! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Vineyards, castle and very threatening clouds
Heart 6 Comment 0
We got into our serious rain gear, and it poured
Heart 6 Comment 0
Take shelter in my patio! - Sorry not to have gotten a nicer picture.
Heart 6 Comment 0
While waiting out the rain, Susan has a bite to eat.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Offenburg we have hot chocolate and toasted paninis to warm us up from the inside. See Susan in the yellow jacket.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We then had a wonderful stretch between fields of corn and apple and cherry orchards, the apples ready for harvest, the cherries long since harvested. We had views to the hills of the Black Forest to the east and to the Vosges Mountains on the other side of the Rhine to the west.

The sun dried all the remaining dampness clinging to us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So many apples
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow - neat! I'm sure the birds and insects have a field day!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
They were good!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice you could enjoy having an apple too! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Panorama looking towards the Black Forest hills where we had been riding the past days
Heart 3 Comment 0
And more apples. Looking toward the Vosges Mountains across the Rhine
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Wilhelm Tell moment
Heart 10 Comment 0
Corn and fruit trees to either side of the path
Heart 1 Comment 0
An old path deeply engraved into the landscape
Heart 7 Comment 0

We passed a wagon with exotic gourds and pumpkins and stopped again for a few pictures. We were now on the home stretch and the clouds opened up again. Back into rain mode. I first wanted to put my smartphone in its waterproof case and then noticed that its battery was empty and the power bank seemed to be empty as well. Susan gave me her power bank to try, but the phone wasn't charging. Then I hastily stuffed the smartphone, case and power bank into my cargo bag and pulled out the rain jacket. Susan would lead the way - not so easy since she had her smartphone in the waterproof pocket of her jacket, couldn't see the route and had no voice directions on the track that she had imported from me. So much technology is not a good thing I hear some of you saying. I turn a deaf ear. Susan did a fantastic job getting us to our hotel without a wrong turn! She pedaled like crazy and when we arrived the sun was out again.

Gourds of all kinds
Heart 5 Comment 0
A swan?
Heart 5 Comment 0
Each gourd has its price.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Albinos
Heart 2 Comment 0
In spite of the rain, a brief stop for a shot of the cathedral in Bühl
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sun again when we reach our hotel, Hotel Engel/Angel
Heart 6 Comment 0

The day ended on a sour note for me when I noticed that my power bank was not in my bag, and it wasn't in Susan's bag either. I must have lost it in the scramble when it started to rain. This threw up the question of how I was to navigate to Karlsruhe tomorrow to catch my train back to Munich. Rain was also in the forecast which threw up the question of whether we wanted to cycle back to our respective trains or get connecting trains from Bühl, about three kilometers from where we were staying.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 253 km (157 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Emily SharpWhat a beautiful day - with the exception of the loss of the powerbank. I love all the harvest produce - such beautiful fruit and gourds!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltI was on a bike tour in Germany recently, and was sightseeing in Bremen, and someone stole the powerbank and cord out of my front pouch. :( Fortunately, I was able to get a replacement at T-Mobile nearby, but it wasn't as good as the one that was stolen. :( But, better than nothing!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Charmaine RuppoltSorry to hear that!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago