Day 4: A birthday day - Cycleblazing in the Black Forest - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2022

Day 4: A birthday day

Freudenstadt - Biberach

Today is Susan's birthday! I was hoping we would have a good route for the occasion. As you can read in her journal, although today's ride was worthy of her birthday, she was saddened to receive distressing news from her sister.

Happy Birthday to Susan! Lang sollst du leben!
Heart 8 Comment 0

Leaving the hotel, again those darned stairs, but easier to go down than up, I even managed my bike by myself.

Heart 2 Comment 0

It had rained during the night and it was cool in the morning, the forest paths were wet. First we had a little climb out of Freudenstadt to the beginning of the forest part of our ride. The sun flashed on and off through the branches, droplets of water glistened in the morning light.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Shaggy moss
Heart 6 Comment 0
Shaggy bird house
Heart 7 Comment 0
On gravel paths, and a little hilly
Heart 6 Comment 0

There aren't too many ways to travel south from Freudenstadt and when planning the tour, I had to choose between what looked like a rough forest trail or a road that might have more traffic than would be comfortable. I chose the road and had every intention of reviewing the route with Susan before we left. I made those plans a couple of months ago and no longer remembered  my uncertainty concerning the route. Now we were at the end of our forest trail and confronted with the road, there was no turning back. The first few kilometers on the road saw a bevy of cars and trucks and no shoulder. I thought this is going to be a white knuckle ride, be brave. But then the traffic disappeared and we had a fantastic run, sailing down a curvy road to the valley of the Kinzig river, which we followed for the rest of the day.

No cars!
Heart 6 Comment 0
A good birthday ride
Heart 7 Comment 0
Down, down, down
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dark and stormy where we came from
Heart 5 Comment 0
Blue skies ahead
Heart 7 Comment 0

There was also flora and fauna to entertain us. I had been on the lookout for mushrooms in the forest, but didn't spy any which surprised me. It looked like a good mushroom breeding place. Later on we did get to see cows, goats and sheep.

My only mushroom spotting: a row of little white fungi in an open field.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWow! Those I big mushrooms!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, interesting horns!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the unexpected excellent road, came another surprise. We entered Schiltach which didn't look like much from the bike path, but we thought it was time for a cuppa. Then as we turned left into the pedestrian zone, rows and rows of half-timbered houses layered up the hill came into sight. I had to take many pictures. There was also a good cafe with fine patisseries. We both had little lemon tarts which were excellent. The cafe also had an interesting cellar which I got a glimpse of when I was looking for the WC. It looked like something from the Middle Ages with a floor of big stone slabs and a low vaulted roof supported by massive stone columns.

Schiltach
Heart 5 Comment 0
Schiltach pano
Heart 10 Comment 1
Schiltach on the Kinzig
Heart 7 Comment 0

We carried on in the Kinzig Valley with a moderate headwind which picked up in the course of the afternoon.

Never expected to see this here! I didn't even know what it is called. Susan identified it: Monkey Puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana)
Heart 4 Comment 0
Are these the fruit, or something like pine cones?
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltCones is correct.

https://conifersociety.org/conifers/araucaria-araucana/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltRats. I’m too slow.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The stormy sky is still behind us, the advantage of the head winds.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Surprise number three is Wolfach
Heart 3 Comment 0
The pretty main street of Wolfach
Heart 7 Comment 0

The Kinzig valley is flat with scenic views to the forested hills to either side of our bike path. As the wind picked up and the kilometers accumulated, my thoughts turned to our evening meal. I then noticed on the map that our guest house was in the middle of nowhere, no town far and wide. I wondered if I had booked us into another dump. The previous two nights weren't exactly dumps, but they weren't very fancy either, no frills. Will Susan be sharing an energy bar with me for her birthday dinner?

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

To my - and Susan's - relief the guest house was very nice and had a good restaurant, too. We had fresh trout from the region and festive desserts. Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte/Black Forest cake would have been an even more perfect birthday cake dessert, too bad they didn't have any.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 195 km (121 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Gregory GarceauOh, those are some fine pictures--not only on this page, but throughout the journal. I've probably said this before on Cycle365, but the Black Forest has to be the most beautiful wooded area in the world. (And that's saying something considering my general distaste for view-blockers.)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI agree the Black Forest looks like an amazing place to cycle and I bet it’s good for hiking! As usual, your photos are amazing. I’m glad the hotel had a restaurant and the menu sounded great even without Black Forest cake.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jill GelineauHey, so fun to read about your trip as I just read Susan’s report this afternoon! The Black Forest looks very appealing.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago