Old school riding - Training for The Big One - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2022

Old school riding

A glimpse into the past

WE HAD STOPPED at an historic building,  an example of rural Florida construction in the middle of the 19th century, when an older gentleman drove up and rolled down the window of his pickup truck.  "Would you like to see inside?  I can open up in a second."  He lives next door and had spotted us as we circled the outside, and came over to offer us a tour.

With no further ado he had the padlock off the door, admitting us to what was once a one room school that served the sparse, widely distributed population of the area from the 1869 until 1924.

It's somewhat gone to seed but still contains artifacts and relics of a century ago.  He showed us,and demonstrated, the classic hoop rolling toy of the sort one sees in period illustrations.

Simple toys from simpler times
Heart 0 Comment 0

As he went around the room he would stop and explain what we were seeing: blackboards revealed when interior paneling was removed, old class photos, a jump rope made of vines, a combination broom and mop made from corncobs and their husks, and sundry other memorabilia.

Simple but functional
Heart 2 Comment 0
Class photos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iron hoop rolling toy
Heart 0 Comment 0
A corncob broom/mop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blackboards discovered when newer panels were removed
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bird trap. I have no idea how it works.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A device for pressing crenellations into shirt cuffs
Heart 0 Comment 0

It seemed as though he had personal connections with most of the objects: many were made by his kinfolk.

They all seemed to have the surname Hurley, so as we shook hands before parting I thanked "Mr. Hurley".  "My name's Davis.  But you were close." came the correction. 

Other images from today:

Little known fact: much of the sand on Florida's beaches is actually grown, on farms like this. This crop is ready for harvest, just in time for beach season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's either a local tribal custom or a way to keep the goat from sticking its head through the fence and getting stuck.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering historic Madison, FL
Heart 0 Comment 0
Madison is a nicely preserved slice of Florida's past.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I thought the gate and the name were both superb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 193 miles (311 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0