We really poked along today, an easy day to a familiar destination: Nordlingen to Donauworth - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2016

We really poked along today, an easy day to a familiar destination: Nordlingen to Donauworth

Keith here: Another warm one with the thermometer on the bike registering 37 degrees. We could call this ride the "sunscreen tour".

With breakfast not included at our hotel we went for a short walk to a bakery and ordered breakfast for two which realistically could have fed four. It was presented as one would high tea, on tiered platters with bread in a basket on the side. Bread alone included about a half dozen buns plus two croissants for good measure. Not only did we have breakfast, we made three sandwiches for the road with the leftovers.

Incidentally the room in our hotel tripled in price overnight to the equivalent of $600 Canadian due to the weekend festival. Simple economics of supply and demand at work. Needless to say we didn 't stay an extra night!

Look who we saw and heard honking their way down the street on our way to breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yikes. That is a lot of breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unlike yesterday where we started the day with a big climb today we rolled out of Norlingen into farmland with small villages every few kilometers. About half the ride was on great secondary roads similar to D roads in France. The rest was comprised of standard paved radwegs and a couple sections consisting of "ploughed and sanded" bike paths. This term I borrowed from Ted G's term for groomed ski runs. Thought it fits the description of gravel bike paths.

Today was the easiest day of riding we have had since we left Mainz. And then, at the chief navigator's suggestion, we made it a short day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical views today, and easy terrain to cycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in Harburg for a cold drink. What a cool spot. There is a fantastic castle that overlooks the town and it was just a pretty, pretty village.

Harburg is a pretty spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids having fun in the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the colours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, that castle. Isn't it a beauty?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our view from our picnic lunch. Remember all that breakfast? We finished it under a plum tree so had fresh plums for dessert, on a shady bench, admiring Harburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was asking myself what people in Harburg do for a living as we cycled out of town. I imagine tourism is pretty seasonal. Then we rounded a curve in the bike route and look what we saw. I imagine a few of them work here. No idea what it is, but it is massive.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the navigation side I have downloaded gpx routes from a website called biroto into galileo. Works like a charm as I record my path. If you happen to miss a turn you know within a few meters. Biroto provides thousands of bike routes in Europe free on charge. At the moment I have two routes to choose from heading south - The Claudia Augusta and The Romantic Road. They are one and the same route in some instances.

Now the GTW is taking over the writing. I am working on the blog tonight at an outdoor patio while sipping wine. It is probably still at least 24 or 25 degrees Celsius. I know this because I run cold and I am wearing a t shirt and skirt and am still deliciously warm. What a great way to write a blog.

The ride today was the easiest since we left Mainz. A few minor positive inclines, but that is it. We were loving it and rolled into Donauworth shortly after 1 PM.

On the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came into Donauworth in a completely different direction than we did two years ago and it was a completely different experience. Riding through this tunnel was fun because it was bike and pedestrian only.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donauworth is a beautiful, beautiful place. Over eis the chief navigator announced he wanted to stop. The GTW wanted to keep going.
Heart 0 Comment 0

r

The chief navigator won, and it was a good decision although it took me a while and one more eis for me to warm up to the idea. The riding was just so fabulous. But I get to do more tomorrow, and the day after that and...well, we do have seven more weeks.

Stopping has given us a great opportunity to really see the town and relax. After an exciting night last night in Nordlingen a little rest and relaxation is a good thing. We rode our bikes straight to the same hotel we stayed in two years ago, and they, to honour our status as bike tourers put us on the top floor, three flights of stairs and no lift. I am convinced it is a law. Yesterday, high end hotel and lift we were on the first floor. Of course. We have had a wonderful evening after exploring the town.

These churches are amazing, but the bells will be ringing all night. Evidently the locals can tune it out. Not me. At 7 PM when the bells were ringing conversation had to stop. It was incredibly loud and long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Did I mention we have one of the churches right across from the hotel?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is our hotel. The bells are ringing as I write this. It is hilarious. Another night for the ear plugs. I am perfectly happy though, the chief navigator makes good decisions, and he has wined and dined me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 688 km (427 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0