Munich to Frankfurt: Cars, cars, cars. Expensive ones. - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2016

Munich to Frankfurt: Cars, cars, cars. Expensive ones.

A little more about our first afternoon in Munich. When we arrived one last time this trip the CC led us straight to our hotel, the Hotel Monica. It is on the fifth floor of a building, with a lift, and was a great place to stay. It was a five minute walk from the train station and a five minute walk from the old town. I am biased of course, but Keith's ability to get us wherever we need to be seems pretty amazing to me, so much so that on occasion he has to remind me when I expect instant directions that he has never been in a particular place before. I just relax and take it for granted that he will get us where we need to be, and he does.

As always in a new spot we began our exploration by just wandering. The pedestrian area in Munich was huge, and on this Saturday afternoon, absolutely packed. We can only guess if it is always like that on a Saturday afternoon, but it was hopping. An interesting fact about the pedestrian area in Munich...evidently when the municipal government converted the Main Street to pedestrian only the store owners howled in protest. The initiative has been so successful that all the small business owners on the surrounding streets begged to be made pedestrian only as well. Why can't North American cities at least give it a try? It is so great to be able to just wander without worrying about cars.

Fountain in the pedestrian area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A boy and a fish. Pretty cute.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We admired the architecture of the 'new' Rathaus, it really was stunning, stuck our noses in a few churches and were very impressed with Munich. It is a big city with a small town feel. We started the menu reading ritual and chose a traditional German restaurant with a lovely ambience. I didn't have pork knuckle, but am determined to have one before we leave Germany. I still remember the one I had in Heidelberg last year very fondly!

The next day we fired up our iPhones, and did the Rick Steves walking tour of Munich. It was great, and we were able to poke around with very little navigating. We have really enjoyed this independent but informative way to see things. It was unusually cool in Munich on Sunday, 3 degrees when we get started. Keith pointed out that it was 27 degrees in Rome. Hmmmmm. Fortunately Monday's forecast was for 19 degrees and it came true.

The little monk atop the new Rathaus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marienplatz is beautiful. We are all waiting for the glockenspiel. It was entertaining but underwhelming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful churches to visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All dressed up and no place to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We climbed to the top of St. Peter's Tower to take in the views of Munich.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was gridlock up there though, so we didn't stay long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This church was built by two brothers who built it as an advertisement for their church building business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I presume you could order two cherubs like these back in the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another spacious church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This church had the devil's footprint in the entryway. He was so angered by the beauty of the church he stamped his foot and left a black depression in the floor. It is still there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful architecture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, we went to the Hofbräuhaus. They only sell beer by the one litre glass, yes, you read that correctly, so we wisely shared.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful opera house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots to explore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman was singing arias in the park. She is a soprano. She is amazing. Note the woman to her left. That sums up how I felt to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is her name.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More to come but we are headed out for Keith's birthday dinner. He asked me not to mention that it is his birthday, so I am going to find out if he is really reading the blog! He has always been such a support and wonderful husband, but through this experience he has been an absolute rock. I don't know that I can properly express how lucky I am to have him. He didn't bat an eye at turning this trip into something completely different, and while we certainly wouldn't have chosen this, we have had an absolutely great time together and seen a great deal. We are a team, and a lucky one at that.

Back from his birthday dinner, schnitzel of course. We did go a little rogue and have wine instead of beer, but finished off with a wonderful apfel strudel with vanilla sauce and ice cream. Now, back to Munich.

Monday we had decisions to make. There is just a ton to see and do in Munich, and after considering all the art museums, history museums, Dachau and so on, we went for the hedonistic on our last real touristy day. We toured BMW Welt and did a factory tour. For people whose lives are less car centric than most it may seem a strange decision, but we loved it. Evidently you have to book months in advance for the factory tours, but I inquired anyway, and would you believe someone who was to do an "owner's tour" because they were picking up their brand new BMW didn't show and we were in. Only ten people in our tour and it was fantastic. No pictures because they are not allowed, but a great experience. Our tour guide could spout facts and figures like you have never heard. Most of it was over my head (engine torque etc.), but I do remember if you go really high end your carbon fibre roof is only going to weigh 600 grams.

We walked to and from the BMW Welt so saw a great deal of Munich too. It was quite a hike and had us longing for our bicycles, but we enjoyed it because we saw a great deal of the city. The bike paths in Munich are fantastic. Lots of people using them as well. We were impressed.

On our way to BMW Welt. Another church, so of course we went in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And it was beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another arch. Note the bike path, with the parked cars protecting the cyclists rather than the other way around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved this modern art, and the bike in front of it too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't this a sweet bike?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked through Olympic Park on our way to BMW Welt and couldn't resist taking this picture for Keith's hockey buddies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
BMW Welt is worth it just for the architecture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fantastic building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just amazing really. They don't just design nice cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My kind of a car. Two (or three?) horsepower, 1959, all original and cute as could be. Top speed 80 kph, which is more than I need in the city. Perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked it so much he took me for a spin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a blast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then I found a new bike. I couldn't figure out where the pedals were though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one is worth 2 million Euro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And we think this one is perfect for a friend of ours. He could trade in his current BMW for this one...
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is designed for a driver, and the passenger relaxes in the back, putting his feet up. Our friend could relax and rest his sore knee here, while his wife does the driving. Perfect!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The car was surrounded by velvet ropes, but honest admiration works wonders, and this lovely young woman escorted us into the zone for a close look. Since it is worth the same as a small house, we truly were just looking.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After BMW Welt we wandered back to Marienplatz and the outdoor market. Oh the cheeses, olives, sausages, fruits and vegetables. One stand was all mushrooms. If only there was a way to beam myself in and out like Star Trek. We settled for beer, and contemplated all the people outside and enjoying themselves on a Monday evening in Munich. Then it was more beer and a pork knuckle in the Augusteiner Beer Hall. Yum, yum. Tomorrow the train to Frankfurt Flughaven. The long trip home begins.

Yummy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is so civilized.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of people enjoying the evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How I imagine Robson Street in Vancouver would look without the cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vegetarians avert your eyes. My pork knuckle!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0