Homeward bound: Munich to Frankfurt to Victoria - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

November 2, 2016

Homeward bound: Munich to Frankfurt to Victoria

We ate our last German breakfast in the Hotel Monica. One of the minor downsides to the accident is that despite all the walking, we have had to be a little less indulgent about what we eat! Another plus for bike touring is the number of apple strudels one can guiltlessly consume...even at breakfast if one so desires.

Our last train ride of the trip was a wee bit eventful. Our car was designated (265) and we were early and organized. Every train is a little different though, and as ours came into the station I was scanning for car numbers. Sometimes they are cards on the doors, sometimes painted on the car, and in this case an electronic read out to the left of the door. We spotted them, and on what felt to me like an extraordinarily long train they rolled past. 312,311,310...we were off. Except when we got to 266, that was the last car. The train hadn't originated in Munich, so time was of the essence. We threw the bike on 266 and contemplated our options.

I started walking up through the now moving train, while Keith did his best to stow the bike somewhere. An employee had boarded the last car, ours, just before the doors locked, and Keith asked her what to do. I wish I had been there, as I gather a rather hilarious conversation ensued.

"You absolutely cannot have a bike in this car." "Well, I do." "But you absolutely cannot." "Well, there it is." Much consternation on her part, and she asked us to please move the bike at the next stop. She was very nice about it, once confronted with the physical evidence that there was a bike in the car. We sat down and relaxed. Then the ticket taker came along, and he informed us that due to the length of the train, there was no way we had enough time to move the bike at the next stop, that it wasnt bothering anyone, and to just leave it until Frankfurt. Hooray! Now we really relaxed.

Until the crew switched. We went through the whole hilarious conversation again and were informed we would have to move the bike at Heidelberg. Get this. They would hold the train for us! However, a man the lovely woman we were dealing with called 'the big boss' came to take a look, said the bike wasn't bothering anyone and common sense prevailed. He also explained that they had moved the bike car from one end of the train to the other, so we didn't feel like complete idiots. It was a reminder though that just when you think there can't be another permutation to bikes and trains, there is one!

After that it was smooth sailing. Keith boxed his bike and I went to get the boarding passes for the flights. The Sheraton was wonderful, as always. Our flights were uneventful, and never underestimate the power of a sling. Air Canada put us in bulkhead seats, we had the row of four to ourselves and it made the longest flight very comfortable. I did well until the Calgary to Victoria portion, and that was the longest hour and twenty minutes I have experienced in a long time.

One note about the flights, there has been a change in policy and it is no longer necessary to pick up checked luggage when you clear customs (at least in Toronto) so the bikes were checked through to Victoria. This would be a huge help to anyone, but with us only having one bike wrangler this year, it was a truly wonderful thing.

So, we are home. I have been to the doctor and the physio. The shoulder is still giving me discomfort, but seems this is perfectly normal. That is good news, in an ironic way. We will both write a page of reflections about the trip, and once more do it completely independently. Should be interesting this year! Watch for it.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0