Do we really need to be woken up every fifteen minutes?: Donauworth to Augsburg - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2016

Do we really need to be woken up every fifteen minutes?: Donauworth to Augsburg

Bells. Bloody bells. Last night the bells at the cathedral next to our hotel rang every fifteen minutes. Once for the quarter hour, twice at the half, three at three quarter hour and four on the hour PLUS the hour of course. Midnight does not bear thinking about. We swore to never choose accommodation so close to a cathedral again. So tonight in Augsburg we are staying at the Dom Hotel. Seriously.

We were both tired this morning after a somewhat sketchy sleep, but didn't try to sleep in because the bells weren't going to quit. It would have been a lost cause. We were out the door shortly after nine, but put this early for us start to good use by oiling the chains. The bikes appreciated it. We decided to head straight south on the Via Claudia Augusta rather than staying on the Romantic Road Radweg, which swung east and then back to the VCA.

Hardly enough real estate on that sign to hold all the different routes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One last look at beautiful Donauworth.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first part of the ride was paved paths and beautiful farmland. At one point we went past a huge field planted in parsley. I was tempted to jump off my bike and have some. We even stopped at a flea market just for fun - we certainly weren't going to buy anything - and it was the same stuff, different country. Perhaps a few more beer steins than you would see at home.

It is Sunday and there were lots of day trippers out and about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A kloster in the distance that we actually knew to watch for. It was very beautiful from a distance but I wasn't even tempted to ride up to it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After about fifteen km, give or take a few, the bike path was no longer paved. It became what Keith calls plowed and sanded, much like sections of the Lochside Trail at home. This kind of a surface is generally almost as easy to ride on as asphalt, so no problems. Today though, there was a section that had recently had gravel added and I found it a bit lumpy for my taste. Just in time to save the day though, there was a coffee spot.

We were riding alongside the Lech River. The water was so clear it was astounding. People were swimming, and I was tempted to strip down and jump in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here we are trying to get by a small obstacle on the bike path. Note the new gravel that I was not taking a shine to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aren't they beautiful?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee stop. This was at 10:30 in the morning folks. Seems beer early is a Bavarian tradition. I stuck with coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We met the nicest young woman at coffee. She explained the Bavarian beer drinking tradition to us. Very refreshing she said, and I am thinking maybe we should give it a try, except then I would want a nap, and we really wouldn't be getting anywhere. The young women spoke perfect English and worked in Tofino for a year. It is a small, small world.

She is getting married on October 22nd at the spot where we stopped. How we were so dumb as to not get her name is beyond me. She is going to be a beautiful bride. I will be thinking of her on the 22nd. She will be wearing a traditional Bavarian dress. I would love to see pictures. I showed her pictures of our son and daughter in law's wedding. She was very patient with me. Weddings are such wonderful occasions.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued down the river, stopping just before Augsburg for a picnic. It was an easy ride today, pretty much totally flat.

Pretty river and clear, clear, clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of people out enjoying it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spun into Augsburg with very little confusion. That is always nice when it is a larger centre. We settled on the Dom Hotel, which is of course, right by the Dom. The receptionist has assured us the bells are not an issue. It is a beautiful hotel, set back from the main road, but right in the heart of town. Once settled in we headed out to explore, starting with the Dom of course.

The doorknob. The Dom in Augsburg is seriously huge. It was hard to take it all in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Above the door. Very intricate. The church was built from 994 to 1005.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love those gothic arches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful organ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The exterior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then, at the other end of the Main Street, there was this church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was pretty spectacular too. Here is the jazzy pulpit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Augsburg is a beautiful city, and everyone was out enjoying the weekend and the weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went out for dinner in the market place and just savoured being outside. The people watching was terrific and we really lingered over dinner. Now that we are back at the hotel I am happy to report that we haven't heard any bells. Hallelujah!

View from our table.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And from another angle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last but not least, fountain of the day. I have been forgetting to put them in, but this one is pretty unforgettable don't you think??
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 739 km (459 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0