Canadians in Bavaria: The Movie: Garmisch Partenkirchen - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2016

Canadians in Bavaria: The Movie: Garmisch Partenkirchen

Those were 18 unloaded kilometres too. This is such a beautiful spot we decided to stay and enjoy it. We were unable to remain in the Gasthaus Reiter because they were fully booked, and that was disappointing because I loved our room.

View from the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith says this is the most beautiful pee platz he has ever experienced.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our balcony to sip beer on and contemplate the Alps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a great spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

However, we moved to the B and B Brigette, and guess what? It was as good or better. We couldn't check in right away because we arrived at 10 AM, so left the panniers with them and hopped on the unloaded bikes to head to the gondola up the mountain. It was just amazing. The pictures will tell the story.

Going up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spectacular views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking way, way down.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We hiked a fantastic trail up there and came to a bit of a tricky section. It was crowded with people and an incredible amount of equipment. It was a film set. Who knew? Not me, having never stumbled across one before. At any rate, we muscled our way through, along with a lovely young German couple. We got to the other side of the technical bit and the young German woman lamented to me about the very famous German film stars and the fact that she had been too shy to ask for a picture. If only I had known, I would have insisted she get one!

Canadians in Bavaria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the film crew.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We teased these guys that they were Sherpas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We carried on hiking and came to a series of three caves that went through a part of the mountain and led to more hiking on the other side. No, I am not making this up. I was a bit intimidated, but Keith went ahead, came back and said it was a highlight of the trip. So I followed and it was pretty darn special. Climbers went through the tunnels to get to the climbing routes on the other side.

Tunnels coming up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here we go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was really, really fun and spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the hike back down we again happened upon the film crew, famous (not to me) actors and directors. They patiently waited for us to climb through a narrow chute and I called down "Have you a working title for the movie so we can look for it back home in Canada?". "Canadians in Bavaria" he called back up to me. He was pretty quick.

Leaving the film crew behind we hiked downhill to a second Gondola for the trip to the bottom. The clouds were starting to gather and we wanted to get down before the rain. We cycled back into Garmisch and that made us laugh. The cycle out was fine, and flat we both thought, but cycling back was downhill all the way. What a great free wheel. We really hadn't realized we were going uphill in the other direction, but oh my goodness, going back was sweet.

Once in Garmisch we wandered around, savoured a beer and people watching. Then we went out to dinner at the same place as the night before because we had enjoyed it so much. The absolutely beautiful Mine (prounouced Mina) was there again and we got to meet her equally beautiful daughter. A fantastic evening in a fantastic place. We are so glad we made the detour to Garmisch.

People watching over a beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mine and I discussing our children. Moms are the same the world over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two of the nicest people you could ever meet. Mine's daughter is off to a Justin Bieber concert in Munich tomorrow. She will have a blast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Keith is already asleep and I am ready to join him. What a great day this has been. We needn't have rushed off the mountain. The dark clouds disappeared, the sun came out and it was a beautiful evening. More adventures tomorrow.

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 949 km (589 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0