Regensburg to Straubing: Monuments and Care Homes - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2015

Regensburg to Straubing: Monuments and Care Homes

We had a great start to the day with a seamless exit from Regensburg, thanks to the chief navigator and his iPhone and excellent signage. We were soon pedalling along the river, enjoying the views, and the rapidly improving weather. It had rained overnight, but was dry in the morning and just kept getting better. We ran into a large group of day trippers and had a fun exchange with them on the trail.

Leaving Regensburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large group out for the day. I admired the lady in pink's bike...I have no German, she has no English, but she knew what I was talking about. We leapfrogged this group several times and she and I exchanged smiles and thumbs up each time. Her bike has a step through frame, and the idea has merit!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next we came to Walhalla, which was way up a hill. There was a steep climb up to where we dumped the bikes and panniers. We don't have stands (unusual in Europe) and the fence was electrified so no leaning them against that. We didn't even lock them together. We honestly didn't think anyone else was crazy enough to head up there, and we were right. There were hundreds of steps after we left the bikes, but we were rewarded with spectacular views and a pretty impressive hall of busts, which represented many, many famous German people. We rented the audio guide, which started with a five minute dissertation on Henry 1, who died around 930. I listened to that one, and the next one and realized not only was I not going to remember the information, I didn't have time to listen to it! So we admired the busts, the building and the views and headed out.

It is way up there, but we were very intrigued.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can you see the bikes? Zoom in...the ponies are laying down on the path on the right of the picture. That is where the stairs started. Ludwig I had this idea for an outdoor stairmaster.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a hall of fame that honours famous personalities in German history. It has 130 busts...that is why the audio guide was going to take too long. At two minutes per bust, that is over four hours. It was built between 1830 and 1842.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is huge!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a beautiful building. All the other people in it were smart and came via the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There weren't many women represented. Hmmmmm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, there they are, holding up the ceiling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy bikers. Why on earth did we truck our helmets all the way up there???
Heart 0 Comment 0

We trekked back down the steps, stopping to visit with the sheep and goats. Then back on the bike path, leapfrogging the large group for the last time, and on to a lunch stop at a random park bench. Delicious it was too. Food always tastes so good when you have been biking. We usually buy a sandwich at a bakery before we leave town. Picnicking along the way is so appealing.

The next town of note was Worth, and it had this amazing castle looming above it. We decided to visit that as well, so we headed a couple of km. off route, still on a bike path, of course, and into Worth. The ride up the castle was so steep both Keith and I figured it was about as steep as one can ride with out flipping over backwards. When we got to the top, we discovered it has been converted for use as some kind of care home. It was pretty funny. We rewarded ourselves with ice cream for our efforts.

These guys smelled like goats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful riding again today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tempting castle in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was calling to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We didn't go in. One thing is for sure, the residents have nice views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is a sample.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on track again, we booted it to Staubing, where we are spending the night. There is a large lock just before the city, and who should go through the lock, precisely as we crossed over top? Our friend the A-quadraat, the barge we took pictures of yesterday at the lock in Riedenberg.

It was a tie! We both got here at the same time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Staubing is beautiful, although we have few pictures, because shortly after arrival we met the lovely Maria Schmid. We were so interested in her stories and conversation that we focused on that. She grew up here, but met her husband in New York, so spends her summers here and her winters there. Maria got us oriented, and walked us to tourist info. She was inspirational, for many reasons. She is also a biker, and has two bicycles. A three speed for in town and a seven speed for on the road. She is biking at an age when most North Americans would have long ago given it up.

Coming into Staubing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dan S., the Straubing Tigers are wondering if you can put on some clinics here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They are serious about their hockey. Here is the arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful Straubing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The even more beautiful Maria.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are now cosy in the Bed and Breakfast Bredl. The proprietor suggested a spot for dinner where I had the best meal I have had in Germany. Another great day.

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 798 km (496 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0