Ottendorf to Bamberg: From Wine Country to Beer Country - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2015

Ottendorf to Bamberg: From Wine Country to Beer Country

We had a relaxed ride today as we knew we were going to Bamberg, which was only about 50 km away. We decided to explore Ottendorf before we left. It is a tiny place and very appealing. The Gasthaus was excellent. A large and comfortable room, a good restaurant and a proprietor who spoke excellent English. We asked if we could make sandwiches for our lunch, and not only did they not charge us, but they provided juice boxes to take along too. This was unexpected and very much appreciated when we ate lunch.

Our Gasthaus. It was terrific, quiet and very, very comfortable.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to try and get back to the bike path a different way, having already done the first few km. twice. Remember our overshooting Ottendorf yesterday? The town is at the top of a short hill, and we took off along a paved path with views of the valley. When Keith's GPS said it was time to turn right, there was a path, so away we went. It worked out perfectly.

It was a bit like mountain biking, but it worked, and we wound up right where we wanted to be. You can't tell in the picture, but that is quite a hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we had a terrific ride through a couple of amazing villages. In the second one we realized we were off the Main bike path, and I was studying the map while Keith used his Gaiileo mapping app to find our way back. A very helpful German couple offered help, just as Keith was sure he had it figured out. He said to me "Don't ask!", but even when you don't ask, once you have whipped out a map people want to help. This couple were on bikes, and gave us detailed instructions to go in the opposite way the Chief Navigator intended. They insisted it was not possible to get through the way Keith wanted to go. Emphatically. We thanked them profusely, and as soon as they had disappeared Keith insisted on going his way. I will admit that I was doubtful...very, very doubtful. And perhaps not totally supportive of the navigator's position. But, dear readers, he was right, and I have promised myself not to doubt again. We were back on the bike path in no time, and had a great ride the rest of the way.

Along the Main. We see a lot of this, and they look like semi permanent installations, perhaps for the summer. That is just a guess. Most of the trailers have these big tents that attach, giving a covered outdoor area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first village we came too. In the ancient gate at one end, out the ancient gate at the other. Beautiful churches (yes, plural), bakeries, fachwerk buildings. It had it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met a German bike tourer along the way. He had flown to Norway and biked back down through too many countries to mention. Today was the last day of his tour. He had gone over 4500 km, averaging 150 km a day. Today he was doing 200!! Note how much stuff he is carrying. Wow. He was significantly younger than we are...he isn't in the picture because he had just disappeared into the bushes I had emerged from, teasing me as he disappeared. You do what you have to do on a bike tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We travelled further and came round a curve and saw a very plain looking church. Odd though, it had a tour bus out front. That was a big clue that there might be something to see. In we went, and wow.

Doesn't look like much on the outside, but on the inside...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much to admire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We took many more pictures, but you get the idea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bus tour that started it all. We ate lunch here as well, under a tree, at a picnic table. Perfect.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode on, pacing cruise ships, passing breweries and hammocks. Yes, hammocks. We arrived in Bamberg at about 3:30 PM, and have had some good exploring time. As I write this, Keith is doing some research. We are trying to decide whether to stay put tomorrow or carry on to Nuremburg. No decision yet!

Lots of beer in Bavaria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look where we are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cruise ship. We saw several today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't this a nice amenity on a bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming into Bamberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel. The Hotel SandStern. Great room, perfect location. Our window looks out on the Domplatz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just down the street. Gorgeous. Later we had smoked beer here at Schlenkerla. Delicious. Thanks Mike, for the tip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Around the corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Domplatz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overlooking Bamberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the rose garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Public art of the day. The most impressive door knocker we have ever seen. Seriously huge. I should have put my hand on it for scale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Smoked beer. Delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are happy!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 472 km (293 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0