Bamberg: Beer Wine and Bicycle Shops - Poking Around Europe 2.0 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2015

Bamberg: Beer Wine and Bicycle Shops

We decided to spend the day in Bamberg. We have such a great room in our hotel, right in the heart of Old Town, and Bamberg is simply beautiful. We fortified ourselves for a rest day of walking kilometres at the buffet breakfast, and then hit the cobblestones.

We started the day simply exploring. We walked all over the old town, with the obligatory stop for coffee and kuchen. Keith is concerned I have an eating disorder...I am eating so much. Honestly, I don't get it either. He is a foot taller than I am, and almost twice my weight, but it is me always feeling hungry long before he does. So while he simply had coffee and a taste of my kuchen, I devoured it, and mighty good it was too. We also went beer hunting and found a shop with over 300 varieties. Mostly Bavarian, but a few international ones as well.

The Surly ponies get the day off in their lovely spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge right around the corner from the hotel. I figure this must be the most photographed spot in Bamberg. Pretty special.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the old town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everywhere you look is special.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down on tomorrow's Radweg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron P., you would love it here. There were two breweries just down from this shop. These are all Bamberg beers, including the smoked beer that we had last night and enjoyed so much.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this label.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We asked the proprietor if he had any Canadian beer, and look what he came up with. Steamworks from Vancouver. We couldn't have been more surprised. Didn't buy it though...I am pretty hooked on smoked beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked back to the room, and enjoyed the pedestrian only areas that are just so user friendly. Fruit and vegetable markets were out, and people were enjoying the beautiful day. There were food trucks that were dedicated to meats, or cheeses, or, in one case, olives and antipasti. Pretty impressive. And then, once at the hotel we had a nap! Yup, we really did. Keith wants to deny it, but it is true. It felt great.

Yummy!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Suitably rejuvenated we headed out again. We found a couple of bicycle shops. Keith is still looking for a new vest. We can find vests, but they all seem to be black. Why would someone on a bike want to dress in the colour of asphalt?? It doesn't make any sense. Still, that is what the manufacturers are making, and he has been unsuccessful so far in Victoria, Montreal and Germany. I don't mind though, because I love bike shops, and in Bonanza Radmobil I got my first souvenir of the trip.

My new water bottle! this was a gift from Bonanza Radmobil in Bamberg, and I was thrilled. I will be using it tomorrow. Great bike shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening exploring, drinking wine, and seeing the sights. We had a fun conversation with three young people and exchanged photo taking. We went to a wood fired oven pizzeria recommended by the receptionist at the hotel for dinner. It was very good and very Italian. Prego, prego. The riding resumes tomorrow.

Great wine label. Not the one we bought though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went with a local wine. Love the bottle and wish we could bring it home. The classy glasses, not so much. Next bike tour we might have to make room in the panniers for wine glasses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Narrow streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Wolfgang and Anna. It reminded us of our trip to see you with the boys in '99. Made out of Lego. The grandchildren would enjoy playing with it in a few years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And these are for Gerry and Terry. Great recumbents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting door handle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another hill, another church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from behind the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy tourists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking along the canal. This is the way we cycled into town. Just beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little local colour enjoying a smoked beer in front of the brewery. No room inside, no problem. Just spill out onto the street and join your buddies there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0