Riding rogue! - My Bicycling Bliss - CycleBlaze

December 28, 2021

Riding rogue!

My route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto's route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was whiny all morning while getting ready. I had been so, so cold yesterday. I should have stopped and put on my jacket . . . today I added a Buff and Saran wrap over my toes (I wear sandals while riding).  I give  big credit to the blue sky. I feel much warmer in the sunshine, even if the actual temperature isn't warm.

I was already out the door when I realized my route wasn't showing on ridewithgps. I could go back in and look at the computer. Perhaps I didn't save it. Or - I could ride without guidance and spread my wings. I decided to fly without instruments. Look at me go!

Laugh if you will, but it was a big move for me. It helped that my ended route was to go this way, that way. In this manner, I could come home if I got too cold.

Bicycle traffic was light today. Walking traffic was way up. Overall, for this trip, I've seen only a couple of dogs on bikes. I liked seeing the creative owner setup's. Today I saw one high racer recumbent, and a handful of trikes. I haven't been mentioning tandems, but I see a couple each day. Today I saw a recumbent trike tandem. The woman in the back was tiny, frail looking, and very hunched over. I'm sure she wasn't asleep, but that's how she appeared.

Speaking of trikes - I ran into Ginny again. We talked about good restaurants, and buying real estate in town. We had no more than parted, when here came Scott and Rachael! We turned around, and went back to the pull out to chat more. When I got home, the computer said I'd been stopped more than an hour. Jacinto had to laugh at me and say that's why I like riding the bike path - so I can talk! 

Jacinto drove to the casino and parked. From there, he rode a 50 mile loop down Sahuarita Highway to Green Valley, and back on Mission Road. I asked if he would recommend the ride. Jacinto said there was too much rough road to the south, and that Valencia Road was very dirty - he hoped he wouldn't get a flat.

Remember the whole sealant story?  Jacinto had installed the tube with sealant, but kept getting a thump/thrumming as the wheel turned. He deflated and inflated a couple of times. Then he gave up and rode on it. Jacinto said it got better as time went on. Today, he said the wheel seemed to rotate just fine. Perhaps the sealant was finally distributed? 

Remember Jan? My Ironwoman friend who toured with me a few days last tour? She has painful wrists and hands. We went recumbent shopping on Christmas Eve, but didn't find anything. Jan bought a $300. EZ Sport CX down in Green Valley. That woman bought it new, but had only ridden the bike twice. Jan says her goal is to be able to repeat our four day tour again, with minimal pain. Also, hopefully no tire issues. I told her I didn't think this was the bike. This is the recumbent equivalent of a cruiser. But, it is a great learning platform. She can learn on it, and go from there. At that price point, Jan can save the bike for friends and family to ride.

I spent so much time talking, that I was hardly in the door when Jacinto arrived. His current after ride snack is chocolate milk and peanuts that he has to shell. Usually he likes Coca Cola and pistachios. I haven't asked the reason for the change . .  . 

We went to dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. It was a much better meal than Texas Roadhouse the day before. They were either better staffed, or whatever reason, we had better service, and the food came out in a timely fashion.

We stopped at Trader Joe's on the return, to buy some BarBell protein bars that Mark mentioned in his journal. Specifically, he mentioned a spread sheet of his protein bar taste preferences. That spread sheet isn't in the journal, but I did ask him. Mark replied that Bar Bell brand was his favorite. The check out lady at Trader Joe's mentioned that they were good, and one in particular tastes just like a Snickers bar! We shall see. 

When we got back home, we watched a movie about Betty Broderick. There's part one and part two. We watched part one. It's about a woman who kills her husband, but it's so much more than that. I completely don't remember the story, back in 1989. I should have. Perhaps you do. 

I'm not sure what's going to happen about riding today. It is cold and raining at the moment. We have three days of rain in the forecast.

Jacinto’s photo from Mission Road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I rode past Sweetwater, and saw an egret.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bobcat was looking the other direction and I had a chance to get my phone out and snap several shots.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNice! A rare happening!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s great!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 4
jerry witherspoonTerrific!!!


spoon
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo jerry witherspoonIt wasn't as big as I expected. If it had held still, I could have given it a little scratch behind the ears!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezI think that might not have been wise. He’d likely scratch yours also. What a great sighting!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m very envious. You should post this on the wildlife entry in the forum.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 6 Comment 4
Rachael AndersonWhere did you see him?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonOh my gosh! You didn’t mention this when we met. Was it after we left?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Rachael AndersonYes, it was close to Oracle Road, on the path! That would have been the first thing I said if I’d just seen it!

I think your parade of javalinas wins for ‘probably won’t see this again’.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezThief! You must have grabbed Rachael’s superpower when we met up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
If you keep a rag right where you park your bike, it’s easy to keep the chain clean.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 398 miles (641 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0