Orthez - Clermont-Ferrand to Biarritz 2000 - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2000

Orthez

This was a somewhat longer ride than planned.  We added a few unintended miles at one point when we veered off route to follow the main road but then quickly changed our minds after experiencing its heavy, fast traffic.

The ride to Grenade-Sur-Adoir went quickly, through very pretty country.  We left the Landes behind and began traversing a series of ridges and valleys cut by west-flowing rivers.  

Highlights of the day:

  • Filling up at a market and patisserie in Granade for a picnic on the banks of the Adair.  Picnic fare: wonderful, still warm bread; Port Salut cheese; and red pears.  Great.
  • A return of cloudless skies.
  • A preying mantis in the middle of the road.
  • In Orthez, arrangements at the tourist center for lodging for all nights of our planned hike in the Pyrenees.
  • Enjoying the unique, spectacular Orthez bridge.
  • The best meal ever, a fixed menu feast at a city center hotel.  Scott: a rouget, zucchini and tomato tartlet; baked goose with a red berry sauce; dessert; a bottle of Bordeaux.  Rachael: a goat cheese pastry; dorado, with a tomato-based sauce and rice; and dessert.
Sycamores, south of Roquefort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another roadside rescue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 13th-14th century fortified bridge over the Gave de Pau at Orthez, a stop on the pilgrimage route to Compostela. One of the original two fortified, gated towers remains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gave de Pau and the Orthez Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 884 km (549 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0