Layover in Bouziès - Clermont-Ferrand to Biarritz 2000 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2000

Layover in Bouziès

Breakfast at the hotel was bustling, as we arrived concurrently with the large, elderly tour group also staying here.  After filling on croissants, coffee, cheese and eggs, we left for a 20 km long circuit hike that occupied most of the day.  It was a great walk.  Starting on the riverbank  just yards from the hotel, it followed the water’s edge and then along a barge towpath cut into the cliffs along a spectacular five km stretch of the river before turning uphill to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, a famously beautiful village advertised as the prettiest in the Lot Valley.

After getting our fill of the town’s sights we continued uphill, climbing for another five km to the top of the plateau.  At about the midpoint of our hike we picnicked in a meadow beneath a tree, in what was obviously a sheep pasture - and about a hundred yards later came to a real picnic site, with benches and table.  The hike ended with a long descent back to the river and then another 5k along the shore back to our hotel.

We enjoyed another fine dinner - we both had the same Cabécou salad; I ordered rabbit and Rachael salmon; and we both had a delicious chocolate torte.  Afterwards we went back to the bridge for a last look, and paused in the village to watch tiny bats buzzing up and down the street (it was easier to spot them by their shadows on the walls) and then retired for the night.

The towpath on the Lot between Bouziès and Saint-Cirque-Lapopie is a magical sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Another view of the towpath.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lot is lined with limestone cliffs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Looking down on Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The XVI Century Church of Saint Cyr, at Saint-Circ-Lapopie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0