Jimena de la Frontera to Gaucin - Eating Our Way Around Andalucia - 2022 - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2022

Jimena de la Frontera to Gaucin

Heading back north. Short, but straight up!

We had a lazy start to the day, knowing that today was the shortest distance we'd planned for the entire trip. We toured the Jimena castle and town cemetery on foot, and saw griffon vultures flying above. The info centre and La Sauceda memorial were closed. 

It was too hazy to see Gibraltar, which is about 30 km away. 

The Jimena castle wasn't terribly interesting. There was almost no interpretive information.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The castle was originally built in the 8th century, according to Wikipedia. The location certainly is strategic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gibraltar is out there somewhere. Too hazy for a good view today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I found it interesting to tour the cemetery. More efficient use of space than our vast green spaces in North America.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was a memorial to people who died in the civil war, and apparently a mass grave.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We departed at noon, zooming down out of town prior to starting the 20 km uphill ride. Gail’s stomach was still not great, so she took it slow.

We're definitely in the land of cork.  We passed a cork sorting yard near base of town. 

Despite the ride being a short one (fewest km of the trip), we stopped for coffee and tiny sandwiches in San Pablo de Buceite before starting our climb to Gaucin. Leaving San Pablo, we had the first and last dog chase of trip - he was a noisy small dog, and was quickly called off by his owner. 

Our climb was full of switchbacks, but was uneventful until right at the top, when there was a very light rain shower. I was waiting for Gail, and pulled out my rain jacket for the first time. I didn’t really need it though - the shower lasted only about a minute, and it turned out that we were only a few hundred metres from our hotel. Are we the only ones here? Possibly. Too bad that the hotel restaurant is closed. It's a simple place, but it's clean, secure, and the wifi is good. We walked 1 km into town and did a loop of the core - it's a beautiful place. Another ho hum salad for dinner, but in a wonderful setting.

Looking back at Jimena, another well-defended town on a hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
No, there aren't Canadians here. A cañada is a ravine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You know there are some switchbacks involved when the bike route looks like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Funny to think that it snows here. It was another warm day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sad to see garbage by the sides of so many of the roads. By my estimation, Cruzcampo is the official beer of litterers. The Bud Light of Spain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Funny to realize how close we still are to Ronda.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaucin seems like a really nice white village. Definitely white!
Heart 3 Comment 0
And with beautiful views. Except we still couldn't see Gibraltar.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 296 km (184 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0