In Córdoba - Eating Our Way Around Andalucia - 2022 - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2022

In Córdoba

We got an extra hour of sleep this morning because of the fall time change. It was cooler today for our day of being tourists in Córdoba. I learned this week that it’s CORdoba, not CorDOba. We didn’t pay for access to anything, but instead did lots of walking through the rabbit warren like streets. We used the local tourist walking guide map to figure out what we were looking at. We had a nice walk through the old mosque and across the Roman bridge, and all along the waterfront and through the old quarter. We saw the synagogue (not in use) - one of only three left in Spain. 

The Roman Bridge - originally built in the 1st century. But most of the current structure dates from the 8th century. It carried car traffic until 2004, but is only open to pedestrians now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Guadalquivir River watermills near the Roman Bridge date from medieval times.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The beautiful arches of the mosque-cathedral. It was built in 785 CE, and was converted to a cathedral in the 13th century. It's a world heritage site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The busy streets of the Judería de Córdoba, the Jewish Quarter
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old synagogue is no longer a place of worship, but it's open to tourists.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Narrowest alley yet?
Heart 4 Comment 0

Food is significantly more expensive here than in Seville - we can’t figure out why. We tried berenjenas con miel for lunch - deep fried eggplant with molasses. And bought empanadas for our lunch tomorrow when we'll be back on our bikes. 

Berenjenas con miel, or eggplant with 'honey'. But the sauce is more like molasses than honey.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we had an afternoon break at the hotel where we did the last bit of planning to get to Granada. Weather forecast is looking good - cooler and still dry. We went for another walk in the late afternoon to see the alcazar and the stables, but decided against seeing the horse show.

A proper city wall, surrounded by a moat even. But no drawbridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Cordoba Royal Stables.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then we enjoyed a free drink at the hotel - we got that in lieu of them cleaning our room today. And then we headed for the nearby Mercado Victoria for dinner. It has a variety of food kiosks - I had an octopus salad and a cheesy scallop dish from one place, and Gail had Moroccan food from a different place. All very good. It was very busy. Fingers crossed that we weren't exposed to COVID.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0