Day three - Marysville to Lilydale.: After yesterday this will be easy! - Beginners' three day mini tour - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2010

Day three - Marysville to Lilydale.: After yesterday this will be easy!

After a few km of climbing we had a magnificent down hill run of about two km to the Acheron Way junction at Narbethong. Here we joined the Maroondah Highway heading for Healesville. This road can be busy on a weekend with tourist traffic but on a Monday morning all we had to worry about was the odd timber jinker whose drivers usually gave us plent of space. The road began climbing the Black Spur but this was the easy side and only about three km of climbing and we soon reached the Dom Dom Saddle.

Dom Dom Saddle
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Dom Dom Saddle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Warning Signs about Black Spur Descent. Photo by Chris
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then commenced the descent of the Black Spur which was steeper than the side we came up, a nice winding descent through Mountain Ash forest which had managed to regenerate after the fires.Very little traffic and an enjoyable descent.Then we had another three km of climbing before the descent into Healesville.

Tucking into Ned Kelly egg cheese and bacon pies at the Beechworth Bakery, Healesville Branch. Ned Kelly was a notorious Victorian Bushranger (Outlaw)
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the Bakery stop we had just under 20 km to go. The Maroondah Highway has a bike lane for most of the way back to lilydale but because of the heavy traffic flows a lot of road debris ends up in the bike lane and both Bill and Chris punctured on this section.

Bike lane on Maroondah Highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yarra Valley Vineyards
Heart 1 Comment 0

Eventually we arrived back at Lilydale Station to board our train for home.The weather had been kind to us, fine and sunny for the three days and three enthusiastic new CGOAB members were planning the next ride.

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 172 km (107 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0