Day 9: Travel day: Boise to Seattle - Basses Bikes and Boise - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2015

Day 9: Travel day: Boise to Seattle

I won't write about our travel day is if it were a touring day, but I will at least say that it was interesting to see the interstate highway that was in view for a good portion of the trip, and that we even spent a few miles riding on. Little by little it became obvious that what seemed like out-of-the way little campgrounds, and even whole towns, were accessible and even advertised to the multitudes of people driving the main road.

In a way it's actually a relief knowing that some of these places might see more business than I had at first suspected. I remember driving on Interstate 80 through Nebraska many years ago. The huge truck stops were certainly staffed by residents of the town 5 miles north of the highway, but that town's main street remained desolate. I wanted to drive my VW bus along the old road so I can visit all the little communities, but now I'd much rather do so on a bicycle. Some day I will, and Amy will at least do so through the fine state of Kansas.

I am so glad that we chose to follow the I-84 route versus the mountain alternatives. We enjoyed having destinations spaced about one day of riding apart, while being able to meander away from the main road to visit more scenic areas. I loved seeing the mileposts of old Highway 30. There is something beautiful about a two-lane road that works with the landscape rather than trying to subdue it. And for a cyclist, to practically have the road to one's self is a rare treat. The cars that passed us, with few exceptions, were very respectful. The weather was more predictable than in the mountains, and if we did run into problems, civilization was within reach. This seemed to be an important consideration even in May.

We learned a lot by traveling with Amy. Sunyoung and I had developed a certain style and routine in our tours, while Amy had already formed hers from three weeks of headwind-fighting agony. They were compatible, though. She has a bit slower pace but it's very consistent. I honestly believe she would cover the same mileage in the same amount of time as us, and probably have more energy to spare at the end of the day. I think we have a great camping setup, but Amy is more flexible and able to take advantage of whatever opportunities present themselves. We have started to contact Warm Showers hosts because we enjoy meeting others on our trips. Amy will meet plenty of fellow cyclists on her trip, especially when she joins the Trans Am this summer. Nevertheless, I hope that the great experiences we had with our hosts will inspire Amy to use the service on her own.

This trip reminds me a lot of our Oregon Coast tour. Both were out-and-back tours that could have gone on much longer if only we had the time. Some day we'll be able to get on our bikes, go, and just keep going. In the meantime Amy can set the standard for us.

We got to do just a tiny bit of sightseeing in Boise before our long drive back to Seattle. This old train depot is near Dan and Kristi's house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hey, and it has a real steam locomotive!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The defining destination picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was trying to get a photo of the whole group together but we were having too much fun. We managed to get Dan to pose for us just before we left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amy also had a busy day. Here she is on her way to Crossfit Fireside to promote bone marrow donor registration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0