Windischeschenbach - Schwandorf: Almost took the train - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2011

Windischeschenbach - Schwandorf: Almost took the train

It poured all night and in the morning it was still raining. The previous day had been tiring and we weren't looking forward to another strenuous day. We decided we would just take the train from here. This had been a great trip and we didn't choose to end it on a soggy note. I dug out the keys to our apartment from the bottom of the panniers and put on my jeans.

Hanging sign for beer pub in Windischeschenbach, with maypole in the background
Heart 1 Comment 0

What made me change my mind? Although the rain had let up, the dark grey sky still didn't look promising. I then recognized the eternal conflict between the comfort of home and the stimulation of being on the road, routine and freedom, safety and risk, maybe it's yin and yang, they both have their place. I was being tugged in two directions and I knew that once I was at home I wouldn't be able to understand our decision to end our trip here. Forget the train. After breakfast we went upstairs to our room and changed into our cycling shorts.

This was one of those days I just loved, especially the beginning when we climbed out of the valley from Windischeschenbach and had beautiful views over the countryside. We were on the route we had cycled two years ago on our way to Berlin. We now were travelling in the opposite direction and every time we had a nice downhill run, we were amazed that we had cycled up these hills without e-support not that long ago. Of course I felt a twinge of melancholy at the thought, but I also remembered that we can now cycle hills with our e-bikes without complaining.

This was a beautiful part of our ride, even without sun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a view! If we had taken the train we would have never seen it.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In the course of the day the weather just got better and better. Part of the day we had a bike path within earshot of the highway, not so ideal, but we were glad to be on our bikes. We had hoped to put in an extra-long day but were tired when we reached Schwandorf.

Bavaria
Heart 2 Comment 0
No complaining about the weather now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a perfect decision to ride today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Of course, we knew where the hotel was - we had been here before - and found a room there for 65€. We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant on their terrace overlooking the river.

Our hotel in Schwandorf
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 2,466 km (1,531 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is what makes cycle touring so exceptional. You just never know.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago