Stralsund - Greifswald: We avoid cobblestones with a detour - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2011

Stralsund - Greifswald: We avoid cobblestones with a detour

We decided we wanted to continue east as originally planned. The solution to the 14 kilometers on cobblestones was offered by a cyclist at our hotel. He suggested we take the ferry to the Island of Rügen, cross its southern tip and then return by ferry at another point, thus avoiding not all but much of the dreaded rocky path. Another plus point of this plan was that we would get a lovely view of Stralsund from the ferry and see a bit of Rügen, as well.

View to Stralsund from the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our effort to avoid the bumps was a 30 kilometer detour, but an enjoyable one. And who said that the objective of a bike tour is to get from A to B on the shortest possible route. At times we had bike paths on Rügen, not all paved, and some quiet country roads, and the last stretch to the ferry was on a moderately busy road but we could see that a bicycle path next to it was under construction.

Bike path on Rügen
Heart 1 Comment 0
Exceptional thatched roofs on Rügen
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back on the mainland we had to face the music, the cobblestones were waiting. Now that was a big build-up for a relatively smooth - emphasis on relatively - cobblestone surface. I also had to admit that they are visually much more pleasing than asphalt, and there were no cars since a new road had been built to take care of the traffic. Much of "our" road was lined by beautiful linden trees. I was glad to have ridden on it, for a short distance anyway.

Set timer, place camera on ground, jump on bike and --- go! Wanted to get a close-up of the surface.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We reached Greifswald and as usual went to the tourist office first thing for help finding a room. To our dismay there were no rooms to be had in Greifswald since a Bach festival was being held. But there is no such thing as COMPLETELY BOOKED OUT. Not in my experience, anyway. I have never had to sleep on a park bench. At the tourist office, they made every effort possible and finally came up with a solution. They found us a room in the Park ... something, I thought she said hotel. I didn't catch the name but just jotted down the address. Since it was a little way outside of town we had a look at Greifswald on our way.

Greifswald had also been a member of the Hanseatic League
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we got there we discovered we were in the Park Klinik! This was an orthopedic rehabilitation center, a hospital in other words. But it was comfortable and of course very clean. Actually, part of the center had been set up for visitors and not patients. A nice Italian restaurant was within walking distance and we had a pleasant evening, even if our room wasn't exactly what you would call cosy. They charged us 85 € including breakfast, our most expensive accommodation on the trip.

Park Klinik - we only had to stay one night and were rehabilitated.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThere’s a first. We’ve never done this either.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,540 km (956 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0