Solnhofen - Ornbau: We've been here before - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2011

Solnhofen - Ornbau: We've been here before

We woke up to beautiful weather, sunshine all day. Nevertheless, it took me a while to get going. I must have done something to my back the day before and it was feeling very sore. Was it my nap on the park bench? For breakfast we found a nice bakery that served coffee and had every pastry you could imagine. We seated ourselves at the outdoor tables and my stiff back appreciated the warming, therapeutic rays of the sun.

Altmühl Valley bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tunnel for bicycles
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAnd a separate path for pedestrians, and one for the bicyclists. Nice!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We had cycled this stretch of the Altmühl bike path before but it didn't hurt to repeat the trip. It was lovely. As a matter of fact, when we reached Pappenheim I had the impression I had never been there before. Either we were in a hurry last time and didn't take time to look at the town - or I just didn't remember being here. I guess that has advantages - you can go back and it's all new.

A growing church made a nice backdrop for our bikes. We saw it on our last trip and it has grown some more since then.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More of the Altmühl bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last time we were here I took a picture of his mother (father?).
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was mostly flat riding today with some headwinds.

Altmühl bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Altmühl bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0
Altmühl bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the afternoon we took a slightly different route than last time and cycled along the Altmühl Lake to Ornbau. Here we found the hotel we stayed at and liked last time. This time we liked it, too. They also run the only restaurant in town - on the menu is bratwurst and sauerkraut, that's about all. Same as last time. Not much has changed here.

Altmühl Lake, approaching Ornbau
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ornbau's lovely old stone bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our very nice hotel room at Gasthaus zur Krone was 52 € incl. breakfast.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 189 km (117 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0