Radeburg - Dresden: A short ride to Dresden - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2011

Radeburg - Dresden: A short ride to Dresden

Yesterday it was scorching hot, today cool and rainy. We spent some time looking at the open market on the main square in Radeburg. By the time we left it had begun to drizzle and after a while it began to rain in earnest.

These mobile market stands travel from town to town, depending where market day is being held.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Romanian fruit vendor posed for me.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We didn't have far to Dresden and we did our best to stay off the busy road leading to the city as there were a lot of trucks on it and not much of a shoulder.

We reach the city limits of Dresden
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way to Dresden we took side roads through the villages when we could.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we got closer in to Dresden, we had a bicycle lane and in spite of the rain it was exhilarating to swoop down to the banks of the Elbe and see Dresden's skyline appear.

A first view of Dresden and the Elbe river bank
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dresden
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dresden is impressive. Much has been restored, it's a showcase of exemplary renovation and restoration. But first things first, we headed for the tourist office for help in finding a room. Dresden is a popular tourist destination and is expensive. Somehow we managed to get a special price, 69 € including breakfast, at Hotel Privat, about 15 minutes by bike from the center. We would have been very satisfied if they had provided a place to lock up our bikes (as the tourist office promised). Instead we had to leave them out on the hotel parking lot at night. The hotel might not have had a garage for our bikes, but it did have an excellent restaurant, the finest cuisine we had on the whole trip, and not expensive. And our bikes didn't get stolen, either.

On our day in Dresden we did a lot of walking and riding and looking. Of course, one day was too short. Mentally, we were homeward bound and wanted to be on our way. We only had to decide on which way. A southwest route via Chemnitz and Zwickau would involve many hills and we had little information on where we could sleep. Or else we could follow the Elbe to Prague - a detour - and work our way home from there.

And now for some pictures of Dresden.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Russian street musicians
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a milk store! Pfund's Dairy (Pfund Molkerei) was opened in 1880 and is decorated from floor to ceiling with neo-Renaissance style tiles. You can also sit down and have a glass of milk, or wine, and a piece of cheese there. I took the picture from outside through the open door. For some reason, they don't allow you to take pictures.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hotel Privat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 2,112 km (1,312 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0