Munich - Schrobenhausen: We ditch the camping gear - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2011

Munich - Schrobenhausen: We ditch the camping gear

Before we left, I had the usual case of bad nerves, worrying about getting ready and, well, I don't really know what there was to worry about. The one thing I didn't worry about but should have was how to pack the bike. We've done lots of loaded bicycle tours. However, this was the first tour with our e-bikes and camping gear. That made for more weight than I have had on previous tours and it wasn't well distributed - the motor, the battery and the panniers were all on the back wheel. We soon discovered, about 100 meters from the front door, that the bikes were not handling well at all.

And I thought I had a heavy load!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The obvious decision was to reduce the load which we did immediately. We rode home, dumped all the camping and cooking gear and set out afresh. I was a bit unnerved but glad that we were finally on our way. It doesn't take long to get from Munich's busy streets into green countryside which had a soothing effect on my frazzled nerves. The weather remained cool and grey, dramatic rain clouds threatened, but it was good weather for cycling the gentle hills between Munich and Schrobenhausen.

Peaceful countryside not far out from Munich
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dazzling fields of blossoming rapeseed under a stormy sky
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, what a picture! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Signs asking drivers to be careful where there are school children.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Schrobenhausen, with its sandy soil, is Bavaria's asparagus capital. Every restaurant specializes in this delicacy - big, fat, white asparagus, the fatter the better and for this reason Schrobenhausen has a fair amount of tourism.

This way to the asparagus
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOOOOH - I LOVE SPARGEL!!!!! It is SO good!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Asparagus, Schrobenhausen's claim to fame
Heart 1 Comment 0

For the readers' information I am including the names and prices of all the hotels we stayed at on our trip - this one was one of the most expensive. We probably arrived too late to find a more moderate room. We stayed at the Bauernbräu, where Janos managed to bargain the price down from 91€ to 81€ incl. breakfast.

Our hotel, Bauernbräu, in Schrobenhausen
Heart 1 Comment 0
This way to the asparagus
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOOOOH - I LOVE SPARGEL!!!!! It is SO good!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 68 km (42 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0