Mahndorf - Bremen: We reach Bremen and stay a while - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2011

Mahndorf - Bremen: We reach Bremen and stay a while

It was a short and easy ride into Bremen's center and today, a Sunday, there were plenty of tourists milling about. First thing we wanted to take pictures of ourselves or at least our bikes in front of the statue of the Bremer Stadtmusikanten. The Bremer Stadtmusikanten, or the Town Musicians of Bremen, is a folktale recorded by the Brothers Grimm where the characters actually never arrive in Bremen. We did and were eager to record the fact with a photo in front of the statue but every other tourist seemed to have the same intention.

These are the Town Musicians - a donkey, a dog, a cat and a rooster.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our e-bikes are being scrutinized.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were able to get a list of hotels and pensions at the tourist information office and picked out a place that seemed to suit our needs. It was a room with kitchenette and balcony in a residential area about one and a half kilometers from the center of town, not too fancy and not too expensive, for 60 € a night. I quite liked the neighborhood, a little run down but with atmosphere and old buildings. Our bikes were safely locked up in a garage. We made our own meals and ate them on our balcony. It even rained one day which made us appreciate having our own place even more. We caught up on mail and laundry, got some minor bike repairs taken care of and saw Bremen.

Art Deco architecture in the Schnoor Quarter, otherwise known for its small lanes and medieval buildings.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI love the colors in this. It looks more like a painting than a photograph.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Schnoor Quarter
Heart 3 Comment 0
Schnoor Quarter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another fascinating part of Bremen is the art nouveau Böttcher Strasse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Böttcher Strasse
Heart 1 Comment 0
Böttcher Strasse
Heart 2 Comment 0

After enjoying this domestic interlude and sightseeing for three days, we were rested and ready to hit the road.

Janos enjoys reading the Süddeutsche Zeitung again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was our address in Bremen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 976 km (606 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0