Kuhlungsborn - Wustrow: We are powered by the wind - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2011

Kuhlungsborn - Wustrow: We are powered by the wind

Slept terribly last night. I read my book until the first morning light became visible and only then dosed off for a few hours of sleep. Thankfully, we had a windy - tailwindy - day and were propelled forward. We also got caught twice in real downpours, intense but short, and when the rain stopped we again sped along.

After the first downpour of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

The path next to the dunes was smooth, not cracked or buckled, and we were treated to many beautiful views of the Baltic coast.

Smooth riding along the dunes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even beach baskets can't entice people to the beach today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This isn't the weather for a bathing suit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for a real steam engine to pass
Heart 2 Comment 0

We reached Warnemünde around noon, had lunch and in a sudden downpour had to find our way to the ferry which would bring us to the other side of the mouth of the Warnow.

Posing with posies at our lunch stop
Heart 1 Comment 0

Catching the ferry wasn't as easy as it might sound. Unless you knew to take a detour to get across the train tracks, the bike path signs led you directly to a stairway. But we had read our Bikeline guide and avoided the trap. The other obstacle was the ticket vending machine. How to buy tickets for two cyclists and two bicycles seemed to be a well guarded secret. Eventually, with a little help from a ferry boat employee we had tickets and could board the ferry for the five-minute crossing and were again on our way.

Ferry crossing where the Warnow flows into the Baltic
Heart 1 Comment 0

Again tailwinds and now sun, all on the best bike path and a long stretch was close to the water. After reaching Dierhagen we were cycling on a narrow strip of land with the Baltic to the left and the Saaler Bodden, a large shallow bay, to the right.

Low dunes are between the bike path and the sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful empty beaches
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting house along the way with moss growing on the thatched roof
Heart 2 Comment 0
When we came to the path through the woods we opted for the road, mainly because of the many mosquitos, and still had a nice bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Wustrow we enquired at the tourist office about a room and they found a unique accommodation for us, a room on a boat (65 € including breakfast). The unique feature we discovered when we rode to the address - the boat wasn't in the water but high and dry on land. The schooner was built in Denmark 1919 and had sailed the waters as a fishing boat many years before it was put to use as a hotel. The owners also ran an excellent seafood restaurant in the boat where we had our evening meal.

This is Stinne, our boat-hotel, or maybe I could just call it a botel.
Heart 4 Comment 1
View to the bay
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 1,386 km (861 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0