Kelheim - Pfaffenhofen: Almost there - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2011

Kelheim - Pfaffenhofen: Almost there

Again today we were travelling on familiar roads. Again it was warm and sunny. Again we were feeling impatient to be home.

Decoration in a bicycle friendly town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Setting out in Kelheim
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were at the dock with plenty of time to spare for the 9:30 ferry from Kelheim through the narrows of the Danube to Weltenburg. From there we continued on the Danube Bike Path.

Waiting for the ferry, we had a nice chat with this friendly couple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing between the sandstone cliffs on the way to Weltenburg
Heart 2 Comment 0
Weltenburg Abbey - we aren't the only ones on the path this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Knowing that this is one of the most popular bike paths, we decided to just trust the signs blindly. Perhaps due to construction along the river bank, the bike path took us on an entirely new course. We left the river and rode over the hills and through fields of hops which hung like big dark green curtains on either side of the road. We were pleased to be treated to this change in scenery and enjoyed coasting down the little hills.

The Danube Bike Path leads us through fields of hops.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hops, hops and more hops
Heart 1 Comment 0
We felt tempted to try it but decided to be obedient cyclists this time. We later found out that the road really was impassable, even for bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here I go again, talking about how it was two years ago. When we arrived in Pfaffenhofen, we hoped that the hotel on the main square would be open now. Two years ago it was closed for renovation. It was a nice old building with charm, but we never discovered what it was like on the inside. It didn't open until 5:00 p.m. and we got tired of hanging around and waiting. We knew the way to Hotel Meier in Eberstedt (66€ including breakfast), about six or seven km outside of Pfaffenhofen, and pedalled out there. We were already in our room when it started to rain and happy not to be waiting to see if the other hotel would ever open.

Our hotel in Eberstedt outside of Pfaffenhofen
Heart 1 Comment 0

The meal in the hotel restaurant was gigantic. It wasn't just the size of the portions that were a problem, I was having trouble with chewing altogether. My tooth had become very sensitive by now and I had to be careful not to chew on that side of my mouth.

We were almost home. If all went well, just one more day of cycling would take us back to Munich.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 2,616 km (1,625 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0