Holzminden - Hessisch Oldendorf: Janos shaves off his moustache - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2011

Holzminden - Hessisch Oldendorf: Janos shaves off his moustache

The day dawned much cooler than the past days but it was dry and the sky became bluer as the day progressed. We also had continual wind which drained almost all of the battery on Janos' bike - which just goes to show that riding against the wind requires a lot of energy.

Today was market day on the main square in Holzminden - vegetables, flowers, clothing and miscellaneous were for sale, a colorful scene. We wandered around and took pictures before we got on the road. We weren't in a hurry. It was early June and the days were already very long as the summer solstice approached.

At the morning market in Holzminden: Asparagus is still in season.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flower vendor at the morning market in Holzminden
Heart 2 Comment 0

Again we were full of enthusiasm for the Weser Bike Path and the splendid landscape we were riding through.

More of the lovely Weser Bike Path
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltSuch a beautiful bike path!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
If you look closely, you will see that Janos shaved off his characteristic bushy moustache this morning. Just an experiment to see what he would look like after all these years wearing a moustache.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltJanos looks great without his moustache - I'm sure it was a nice change for him too. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
In earlier times castles kept watch over the trade on the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We encounter picturesque cliffs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Peeking through the fence
Heart 1 Comment 0

At noon we were in Hameln, where I had my first introduction to the incredibe carved wood decorations on the facades in this part of Germany. I don't think I had ever even seen pictures of this beautiful architectural craftsmanship.

Hameln
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThat’s really wonderful. We’re going to have to make it up to northern Germany one of these years.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Hameln
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that is really something!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Hameln
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hameln
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hameln
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hameln
Heart 3 Comment 0
Townhall in Hameln
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI wonder if they ring those bells?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

When we arrived in Hessisch Oldendorf, we didn't seen any signs out renting rooms nor did we see any hotels. However, we did find an information board with addresses and telephone numbers of hotels, private rooms and pensions. We got out our cell phone and were able to reserve a private room not too far away from the center of town.

The house where we stayed was quite a treat. Our hostess, Frau Koch, was a collector. She loved and could not resist knick-knacks, curios and antiques she found at flea markets. She also had a true talent for arranging them and exhibiting them artistically. Our comfortable and clean room, however, was set up for renting and did not resemble a museum. We payed 48 € including breakfast. After resting, we returned to town for something to eat.

This picture is just a sampling of what surrounded us in the house we stayed in.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 780 km (484 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0