Himmelstadt - Obersinn: Stopped by an act of nature - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2011

Himmelstadt - Obersinn: Stopped by an act of nature

The morning was hot and humid and we had the feeling thunder storms were brewing somewhere. We were still on the Main bike path and were treated to pretty villages and what should have been easy riding.

Main bike path with vineyards in the background
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the Main bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0

I must have gotten pretty out of shape during the winter - my legs were feeling tired from the first days of our ride (yes, in spite of the e-support) and my bottom still hadn't made peace with the saddle. I was disappointed - I thought with our e-bikes this trip was going to be a breeze from beginning to end. Of course the cycling was easier and we were covering more kilometers than last year, no doubt about it, but it wasn't effortless.

Again, we were riding through villages and towns that we had visited on previous trips.

Beautiful half-timbered housefront, I think in Karlstadt
Heart 2 Comment 0
Karlstadt
Heart 4 Comment 0
On either side of the gate you can see flood level markings with dates.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, a lot of floods there....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

At Gemünden, where the Main curved south, we left its popular bike path and continued north following the valley of the Sinn. We didn't find the small path along the Sinn immediately and had an unnecessary and unpleasant ride on a steep and busy road with a very narrow shoulder. However, it wasn't long before we were back on course. The narrow Sinn Valley was delightful with meadows in all their spring glory, blossoming in delicate pink, bright red, cheery yellow and dazzling white. Sometimes we were on paths for hikers and bikes, not always paved, sometimes our route followed small roads through the villages.

Sinn Valley
Heart 2 Comment 0
Poppies growing in the rapeseed fields
Heart 2 Comment 0
Path along the Sinn
Heart 2 Comment 0

And then came the rain. This wasn't a touristy area and there weren't dozens of places with a 'Zimmer frei' sign out front, as a matter of fact there were none. But since it was pouring and we were soaked, we hoped we would find something, anything.

It started to rain
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonLike a Monet.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

With a little scouting around we were told that up on the hill a woman rented out rooms. When we inquired at the address, she seemed very reluctant and we were kept waiting 20 minutes before the door while she made up her mind. Just when we decided the heck with this place and were about to leave, she reappeared and said we could have a room. I don't know what that was all about because the room was very nice and our renter turned out to be very pleasant. This was the cheapest room on the trip: 40 € including breakfast.

Where we stayed
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 375 km (233 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0