Greifswald - Zempin: We return to the coast - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2011

Greifswald - Zempin: We return to the coast

The dark clouds in the morning were misleading - the day cleared up and not a drop of rain fell. On our way to the coastal path we passed through large fields of blossoming potato crops. The path following the coast was at times rather bumpy and potholed, it had rained so these were giant puddles, and it passed alternately through pretty woods and then gave open views to the beach and the sea.

Potato plants in bloom
Heart 0 Comment 0
The storks have a great view from the top of the church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice path running close to the coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views to the sea
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wood seasoned by the sun, sand and water
Heart 2 Comment 0
The path goes through enchanting woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Wolgast we crossed the bridge to the island of Usedom where we were in for a little more tourism than up until now. There were lots of cyclists on the path out for a leisurely ride. Not that we're that fast but we wanted to get somewhere by the end of the day and they were perfectly content to ride three or four abreast and chat. It was their right, of course, but their style wasn't compatible with ours and there was no fast lane.

Dogs aren't allowed on all beaches - they have their own.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another consequence of the tourist industry was that the rooms were more expensive, especially if you wait until the end of the day to start looking. In Zempin we paid 80 € including breakfast, a nice room but too expensive.

Our hotel in Zempin
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,608 km (999 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0