Bremervorde - Glucksstadt: We are faster than the cars - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2011

Bremervorde - Glucksstadt: We are faster than the cars

Again fine weather. The ride wasn't always interesting, but there were some beautiful houses and farms along the way to keep us busy with our cameras. The terrain had gentle swells, not really hills, but not flat.

Harbor in Bremervörde
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rural farmhouse
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a big thatched roof!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rural farm arcitecture
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rural farm arcitecture
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rural farmhouse
Heart 2 Comment 0
The closer we get to the Elbe, the flatter it gets.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Some of the bike paths next to the roads were a trial for our patience. Roots had caused large cracks to rise in the asphalt, giving us and our bikes quite a jarring and jolting ride. The question was would it be better to share the narrow country road with the regular traffic or subject the bike and oneself to the concussive bike lane.

Those cracks are worse than they look.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAck! And there are a lot of those cracks too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

What I thought would be 30 km to the Elbe turned out to be 50. When we got to Wischhafen and the ferry pier, there was a long long line of cars waiting to cross. It's hard to say whether this was week-end traffic or just evening commuters, but we did enjoy it tremendously to go to the head of the line, passing hundreds of cars waiting to get on the ferry.

Ferry crossing
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, HUNDREDS of cars waiting?! That's a lot!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It wasn't too late when we got off the ferry in Glückstadt, we could have continued, but we decided to stay. Glückstadt is the capital of young herring, matjes! It and little else is served in every restaurant. Glückstadt could be literally translated as "Lucky Town", but if you don't like matjes you will be out of luck, regardless of how the town is named. Fortunately, we do like matjes and could eat our fill.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Matjes, or herring filets, served with green beans
Heart 1 Comment 0

We found a perfect little private room, actually a little bungalow, in a lush garden for 45 € including breakfast. It was fortunate that we were so comfortably accommodated. The next morning Janos woke up with a killer migraine and I had an upset stomach (the matjes?) and we had an ideal place to spend a sick day.

Around noon we both felt well enough to go out and take a few pictures.

Street view in Glückstadt
Heart 2 Comment 0
Elbe scene
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tea room
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our little bungalow was tucked behind this house.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,098 km (682 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0