Day 2: Wasserburg to Anger - The Great Bavarian Velomobile Adventure - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

Day 2: Wasserburg to Anger

Another day in velomobile paradise. This morning started with a short downhill from the Privatzimmer to the closest gas station in search of food. Not only is today a Sunday when grocery stores are closed, but it is also Pfingstsonntag, a major holiday in the particularly Catholic Bavaria. The gas station was a total wash, unless you want to breakfast on chips and soda. Since Wasserburg is on the Inn river, to leave it you get to go uphill. Uphill without breakfast is not the best thing, but it’s manageable. Luckily at the top of the hill was an Edeka Getränkmarkt that had a small selection of bakery items. A Brezel, a Berliner, and some sort of danish with berries is not the most healthful start to the day, but it sure beats going hungry. It was great fortune to come upon it. There was nothing else anywhere until reaching the Chiemsee. 

Somewhere between Wasserburg and Amerang
Heart 3 Comment 0
Same as above, but I just never get tired of this scenery.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today was an up and down day elevation wise. It’s not so bad though. All the hills were very rideable and there was always something nice to look at coming over the top of the hill. For instance, outside Amerang there was a hill and at the top was this lovely castle. 

The castle
Heart 5 Comment 1
Kathy ParkeReally cool castle!!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
With a view
Heart 4 Comment 0
At the top of the hill
Heart 5 Comment 1
Steve AndersonThats a first for birdhouses I’ve seen! Build into part of the fence! 😉
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

The big destination for the day, besides the accommodations, was the Chiemsee. The weather has just now turned nice and it’s a holiday weekend which means lots of tourists about. The gravel path around the Chiemsee was packed with cyclists. I wanted some nice views of the Chiemsee, so there was some dicey gravel riding involved. The gravel was unpleasant, but the views were great. 

The Chiemgauer Alpen
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Chiemsee
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Given the closure of all grocery stores, lunch occurred at a restaurant in Seebruck. Unfortunately everyone else was doing the same thing. The lunch stop cost a good 90 minutes of the day. The food was good, but tomorrow an effort will be made to find a more time efficient lunch location. 

The remainder of the ride featured a variety of hills and scenic mountain vistas. There was also a more extended series of downhill where I hit a top speed over 43mph. That was quite fun. The W9 handles high speed, even in somewhat windy conditions, extremely well. 

Traunstein market square. This was the ice cream stop location for the day
Heart 4 Comment 0
Traunstein city gate
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of those scenic mountain vistas
Heart 4 Comment 0

The other two items of note were getting stuck on the bike path behind a horse pulling a cart, and a couple miles mostly uphill on gravel (bad rout e planning on my part) Ot was very scenic gravel, and the speed necessary to safely traverse that gravel led to ample time to soak in the scenery. 

This sign made me laugh. Hintereck is the corner behind, Mitterexknis the middle corner, and Vordereck is the front corner
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the forest with the gravel road
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another great mountain vista
Heart 4 Comment 0

The final descent into Anger and the Ferienwohnung, which is a lovely apartment by the way, was an absolute scenic highlight. The fast downhill had to interrupted for a few pictures to memorialize the experience. 

Worth the uphill
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heading into Anger
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

A fellow velomobile enthusiast asked to meet for dinner tonight. It was great to meet Jens and his family. We discovered that Anger has an excellent pizza place. Jens doesn’t own a velomobile, but he got a chance to see the two hottest new models on the market and sit in the Bülk. Jens, it was great to meet you and chat over an excellent pizza. 

It is now well past my bedtime. Tomorrow I will attempt to not finish the blog after midnight. Enjoy the pictures. Tomorrow the mountains will be on either side as the path heads along the Salzach through the mountains. 

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 95 miles (153 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0