Wednesday, May 21: Konstanz - Lindau, Germany: Crossing the Bodensee by ferry then riding along the vineyards - Achtung Baby: Bavaria with a GPS & Some Great Canadian Gear (Tour 13) - 2014 🇩🇪 🇦🇹 🇨🇭 - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2014

Wednesday, May 21: Konstanz - Lindau, Germany: Crossing the Bodensee by ferry then riding along the vineyards

WHAT a stunning ride today. I had read that the northern side of the Bodensee was worth a ride... and were they right!

Vineyards everywhere. An unbelievable number of cyclists, and apparently this is low season, so I cannot imagine what the bike paths must be like when that busy. As it was I had to really pay attention to my rear-view mirrors in case someone was overtaking or trying to get past.

My hostel did not open til 3 pm so I stored my panniers and headed to the island section of town. Rather touristy, but still nice. I had a vendor snack of wurst and fries then a dark weissbier. That was followed by a walk around the pathway that circles the island. Views across the Bodensee of Switzerland and Austria, including snow-capped Alps in the distance.

All in all, a great day, and though it physically hurt to ride, it was much better than I expected. I am not sure about tomorrow's ride. Some routes show as 55 km and others as 70 km with tough climbs. Please pray for me that day three strength gets me over any tough climbs. It seems the Bodensee-Konigsee bike route is longer and tougher. Yikes!

1908h Update: It is getting quite windy, though still clear. Some change on its way?

Descending to the Bodensee to catch the ferry across.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Konstanz harbour on a beautiful May morning. Could it be any better?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very efficient system. I rode straight onto the ferry, paid the fee and just enjoyed the ride across.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Always fun to see what gets dragged back into the present in various parts of the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were a number of ferries that cross the Bodensee from Konstanz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pier on the south side of the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the bike heading along the lake heading east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is so nice in Europe that the restaurants can place their tables and chairs outdoors. No mosquitoes. Vandals or thieves don't seem to bother them. And everyone seems happy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first thing that I noticed on the other side (that is, facing the sunshine) were the endless vineyards. Right from this pier and all along to Lindau the hills were blanketed right to the top with grape-bearing trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Lindau there was a resort-ish kind of place so I stopped for a snack and enjoyed the views across the lakes to the Swiss and Austrian Alps. This is the corner of the lake where Austria, Switzerland and Germany meet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pier where I stopped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were two guys riding on these bikes replicated from the 1890's. They puffed away on their pipes as they rode along in the leather sling-saddle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many pedestrians but also all kinds of cyclists. They were all waiting for one of the frequent trains to pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sample of local dunkel in Lindau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pookie looking out my hostel window in Lindau.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 132 km (82 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0